turn signal question

Guest drtoddh

Hello everyone. The front, passenger turn signal is not working correctly on my '89. I replaced the #890 bulb. The light flashes appropriately when the turn signals are on(correct intensity and rate) but when just the parking lights are on, it is out. All the other parking lights work in the assembly. All other flashers (front and back) work correctly. Could this be a flasher problem or is it a loose wire somewhere? It was working occasionally but now, not at all. Thank you for any suggestions. Todd

That bulb has a resistor to reduce the intensity to the same level as the other parking lights (when not in the turn mode)

The Resistor is located in front of the radiator on the drivers side. I don't have a picture, but it is "horseshoe" shaped...maybe 3" X 3", a 12v wire comes into it and then there are wires going to the left and right bulb... One side of the resistor has failed.

Jim Finn probably has a truckload of them. Or you could measure the good side and buy a resistor at Radio Shack.

One more thing you can check. The turn/park relay. Located in the Relay Center in front of the air cleaner box. Remove the fender brace, and there is a thumb screw in the center of the Relay Center cover. There are seven relays for assorted functions (listings for the relays is on the under side of the cover). Swap out the turn signal relay with a known good one from another circuit ie: horn relay. Relays not too expensive. Barney listed several alternatives to the GM on a previous Thread. The GM # 14100455 is still available, Approx: $15.00.