Classic Car Insurance

wwebb

Haggerty advised they would only insure a Reatta if it was worth at least 15,000.00. J.C. Taylor declined coverage because drivers in the household cannot have as their daily-driver a vehicle older than 10-years of age. It would be nice if J.C. Taylor mentioned that little tid-bit in their application package as it was a waste of time to gather the information to complete and submit their application with pictures, payment, etc.

Any other companies insuring classic cars other than Taylor and Haggerty?

I insured all my cars with Farmer's. They have a classic car division, and I got a multi car discount. As all my insurance is there it wasn't a bad deal. I suggest you talk to your regular agent to see if he can help. I can't help you much as I sold my Reatta.

Tom T

I insured my Reatta through Hagerty for the $15K. It is an agreed value policy and as long as I send in the premium, they agree to cover it. It cost me less than $300 a year. It does carry a $500 deductable. The coverage means that it would be harder to "Total" the car given the "Agreed Value". I have been very pleased with Hagerty coverage over the last 8 years.

My insurance guy just got off the phone with Hagerty calling in my new policy. They asked him why we thought the Reatta was worth $15K? He told them that they were the ones setting the minimums. Evidently they do make exceptions and my Reatta is now insured for $8K at a cost of $156 annually which is a much more reasonable assesment of the car's actual value. I asked if I still had the $500 deductable which I assume is yes but he hasn't answered me back yet. Of course all the usual Hagerty requiremants apply, must have a commuter car, car must be garaged, keep the mileage around 2.5K per year, etc. I must say I am very pleased with Hagerty. I was figuring I had to get Liability only from my regular car insurer which was going to cost over $500 annually and provide much less coverage. I now have 3 cars covered by them.

I tried all the collector ins. companys, too. They all wanted your daily driver car/s to be newer than your collector car. Mine aren't new enough. I went with Safeco

and got a good discount for covering all my cars and the house, with my Reatta covered for 6K.