Favorite roads

I recently returned from the TR6 6-Pack Trials (meet) in Townsend, TN. Among the many activities we did was a caravan drive of The Tail of the Dragon (U.S. 129 into NC). It was easily the best driving road for a sports car I've ever seen. cool.gif

What are your favorite roads for enjoying your lbc?

IMG_0399.JPG

(<span style="font-style: italic">The guy in the blue car is me.</span>)

Any twisty two lane road. There's a nice section of U.S. 17 before Warrington, VA that goes through valeys, streams and hills. Tail of the Dragon is well known for it's driving excitment.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're ever in Scotland the old "Rest and be Thankful" road is a superb drive.

Leave the City of Glasgow and follow the A82 along the side of Loch Lomond, then onto the A83 to Inveraray via the "Rest" - I promise you on a Scottish Autumn afternoon the scenery is quite breathtaking. grin.gif

"Rest and be Thankful" road -

ViewSouth-OldRestandbeThankfulRoad-.jpg

On the way to Inverarary -

TelephoneKioskatRestandbeThankfulMa.jpg

A little further on -

RoadthroughtheGlenstoLochFyneMay200.jpg

The bridge into Inveraray -

InverarayHarbour5-May2002.jpg

Inveraray harbour (that's the road into Inveraray in the distance)-

InverarayHarbour9-May2002.jpg

The town of Inveraray -

InverarayMainStreetMay2002.jpg

Argyll. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Plymouthy

I have only driven the dragon on my motorcycle..would be great place to run the Tiger through the gears for sure..someday maybe..for an overall asthetic drive however the Blue Ridge Parkway is excellent...West Virginia is about all mountainous..fun place when I was driving Porsche..

• 1 month later...

I have my own dragon story. A few years ago my wife and I took a day trip in our Taurus. We were on a winding road near the NC/TN line. I noticed we had a bunch of impatient motorcyclists behind us. Only later did I learn about the road I was driving on and how I was ruining someone's day.

The Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is the most scenic. A local road I enjoy that is fun and scenic is Rt 176, between Tryon and Saluda, NC.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Argyll, you bring back memories with those pics! Our 35 Morris Eight has been up "Rest and be Thankful." One of our favorite roads was always close to home - up through Glen Esk near Edzell. A stop at the museum up the glen is where I first learned about the Argyll car remains that we talked about earlier.

When we had the MGs out in Gatlinburg a couple of years ago, Susan had her GT out on the Tail of the Dragon. Here is a pic that she still uses as a screen saver on the PC.

post-30751-143138071305_thumb.jpg

Guest Plymouthy

I did some of the Natchez Trace back in 1971...beautiful scenery...have some nice slides of that trip tucked away..was tooling along in a Plymouth Duster...

• 4 months later...

I barely qualify to be on this section, my little car is just a 1934 10hp two seater. We, my wife and I, two friends, one accompanied by his lady making a total of five, discovered some fantastic roads on a recent visit to France. All you have to do is follow almost any road out of Briancon, as long as it goes up.... We barely saw any other cars but quite a few motorcycles. Certainly no MGs or TRs not even a lonely Jag.

I apologise if you have already seen some of these on another post.

post-51681-14313811392_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138113924_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138113928_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138113931_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138113936_thumb.jpg

Wow! You had a better day than I did!:cool:

Lately I've been charged with finding roads in the Cincinnati/Southwestern Indiana area to put together an interesting tour for the 2010 Six-Pack Trials (TR250/TR6 club national meet) in Oxford, OH. So far I've found some interesting local roads in northwestern Hamilton Co. (just outside the I-275 beltway), and a really nice road (IN 229) between Batesville and Metamora, IN.

I seriously doubt I'll find anything as interesting as the French Alps or Tail of the Dragon, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them!:)

Guest Plymouthy

you may find some twisty turny road in that area..no serious hills but some rolling speed bumps..roads that parallel the ribers are failry scenic and twisty...the road needs not to be challenging to enjoy the ride..it is the scenery that makes the trip..choose your most rural routes and older towns.communities..is best to know or have beenthat way before to pan a few tops for lunch and stretching of the legs...I used to plan all the weekend routes for a few of us motorcycle riders years past..after a spell..it gets a bit challenging to find something new..

We do these trips every five years. To ship the car from Australia to Europe (UK) takes six weeks and costs about the same as hiring a middle range car for three months. These are a few of what you can expect to find in the Italian Tyrol (Stelvio etc) These are all from the Stelvio taken in 1999. So far no one has asked about our 75 year old 10hp cars. There are at least two in America out of something less than 400 made. That is correct less than four hundred.

post-51681-1431381141_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138114102_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138114354_thumb.jpg