23 Olds truck road trip

Guest Bob Kerr

Guest Bob Kerr

Been working on getting the Olds truck ready for small events and a road trip to the next town over for a car show. Finally got the clutch working right with a kerosene flushout like the manual said to do and now it works like a charm! Had it in a parade last weekend and at a tractor show 2 weeks ago at Elnora, IN. Next event is the Newport, IN Antique Auto Hillclimb first weekend of October. Ol' Gal is geared to the moon and has 40hp so it should do very well I hope! Anyone else going to Newport?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bob Kerr

Well I was right about The Olds Economy 1 ton truck doing well at Newport. In fact I was just plain floored! The thing screamed up the hill and did it in high gear all the way in 38 seconds. Smashed the G3 class (1 ton trucks 4 cyl and 1930 and older) record in practice by 12 seconds but practice times don't count. Must have had a brain fart at the light in competition and ran about 50 seconds. Boy can't wait for next year and Hopefully I can put an Olds in the Newport record book. My 24 Olds touring managed to get a third place in C1 class and I was suprised about that due to the stiff competition in that class. It is a neat event with history that goes back to 1909.

Guest Bob Kerr

Hi Glen, I would love to put pics of the truck on here, but I don't have software that will reduce resolution so the files end up being huge. Or at least I haven't figured it out yet with what I have. The truck is pretty nice but older restoration which was done by the original owner if you can belive it. It was bought new to haul wheat in Scoby Montana in 23 and by 1924 Scoby was the largest primary wheat market in the US. He said he hauled a LOT of it with that Olds. The original owner took pics of the truck back in the about 26-28. When he bought it in 23 from an Oldsmobile truck dealer, Ed Camrud in Wolf Point, MT (the guy didn't sell Olds cars at the time, just trucks), it was the cowl and chassis and he bought a wooden cab from Lindsay Bros in Minneapolis and built the flair side grain box himself. The box is basicly a copy of a wagon grain box but made to fit the truck frame. He drove it home sitting on the wooden box Olds put on the frame to hold the tools and other parts that came with it. I got a lot of documentation with it, but no original paper work. I may take it back to Scoby next july 4th. They have a big tadoo up there at the Daniels County Museum and I might be able to find out more info about it as I am sure someone will remember it.