89 chrysler tc - erradict timing

Peter W.

HELP....................

Problem: must retard timing for cold start. while going through warm up cycle must gradually advance timing until operating temp is reached. Told by "expert" that the pcm is defective. All sensors allegedly checked out ok and all vacuum lines are connected properly. PCM sent out by NAPA to wherever they rebuild these pcm's. It was returned without repairs since it was supposedly in good working order. Anyone ever have a similar problem or a speculative solution to try. I am captive and willing to try anything.

My mother had a 80s K car that had intermittent fuel/ignition problems. I think it had that awful electronic carb. Dealership couldn't fix it. Car would just die when driving down the road and wouldn't restart. Could it be the dist. shaft is worn? I had a Bronco that would run fine when cold but when warm, it would go out of time and run terribly. New dist. fixed it.

Guest simplyconnected

Welcome, Pete. The members here have a vast knowledge and a wealth of references for practically all cars. Welcome aboard.

Auto Zone will hook-up a diagnostics reader for free, if you ask them. Whenever you make a change, check the diagnostics, again. Are you positive your vacuum is hooked up properly? Oxygen sensors don't operate until they are hot. In the mean time, your computer uses a rich-mixture subroutine until then. EGR and TPS can play hell with idle, too. I need much more info. Always check plugs & connectors and ground wires, both on your engine, and on the body. Oxygen sensors need good grounds too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Simplyconnected,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Here's what I know - assuming that the two repair shops the car lived in for the past year are truthful. All vacuum lines connections have been verified they are properly connected and in working order. All sensors checked out and all are functioning within specs. A detonation sensor was replaced. New spark plugs have been installed (that is two sets in less than 30 miles of driving) and plug wires are in good order. I was told also that the heat sensor (I think?) was disconnected in order to simulate cold start condition -- no difference. History; distributor replaced three years ago (about 4k miles since). The engine is a 1990 2.2l replacement long block into a 1989 chasis. The car ran great for over 30k miles.