Looking to buy 48 Lincoln Cabriolet- Need suggestions

dadsolds

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet that appears to be in original condition. All I've seen are pictures, which appear to support the originality. The car has no known mechanical problems. Paint is good except in one small area, and the seats, although weathered, appear to be in good condition. I am not a Lincoln enthusiast. My other cars are a 70 Dodge Super Bee and a 58 Olds. My dad had one of these cars growing up, and I am looking to relive my old childhood. Prices seem to vary dramatically on these Lincolns (46-48) based on the restorations. I have never seen one in all original condition. Any ideas on what the car is worth? Anything I should be on the lookout for? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

A Lincoln is a lot more car than the two you have. I have a sedan but if you are going to buy a Lincoln a Continental is the way to go. With out seeing the car it is hard to evaluate. Do your homework with the price guides and go look at the car.

Dadsolds:

Ask a few questions. My 48 was nice looking, original condition, but upon arrival I discovered the floor was rusted through at the frame support under the drivers mat, trunk has rust spot (but not through yet), and the bottom of the right rocker panel is swiss cheese. These are easy fixes, but will take time and $. Check chrome, and get estimates. I'll spend more than anticipated to bring back to original bright. However, I still think I got a good deal.

Abe