Hershey Hill Climb...Spring 1959

Guest Stonefish

Guest Stonefish

While ID'ing photos of cars I came across this one. I could figure it out using the results...so I know what it is.

the photo is not the best....but who can name it?

post-49045-143138005643_thumb.jpg

Guest Stonefish

You are correct!! As taken from the Samba Dictionary:

Austrian coachbuilt sports car. The first Denzel had a hand-built wooden body based a Kubelwagen chassis. It used the Kubelwagen's 25hp engine and won first place in the 1949 Austrian Alpine Rally. A production prototype was completed in 1951 using an aluminum body on a steel frame chassis and utilizing the Volkswagen suspension and engine. Formal production began in 1953 and ended in 1959 with about 350 total cars produced. The bodies came from Karosseriefabrik F K Gesellschaft, a Viennese firm that also produced some of the early Porsche bodies. There were 3 models:

Denzel Sport "Seriensuper" with 1281cc 52hp engine

Denzel Sport Super with 1290cc 64hp engine

Denzel Sport International with 1500cc 80hp engine

post-49045-143138005713_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
Guest pbaptist

post-93733-143141926449_thumb.jpg

The car in the front is a picture of the car that entered the Hershey hillclimb in 1959

(the car is the back is another denzel and was raced at the Pomona Sports Car Road Races on feb 8th 1959.

I would love to see the picture of the Denzel at the 1959 spring Hershey hillclimb

I first though the Red car raced at hershey, but that car was delivered in 1960, so it couldn't be that car. The red car was raced at the SCCA Regional Vineland on april 8, 1962. If anybody have pictures of that I would be great.

post-93733-143141918121_thumb.jpg

Edited by pbaptist
showed the wrong car (see edit history)

Guest pbaptist

Hallo Ron,Can you post up the picture again. I am doing research to the Denzel cars and really like to know in what years a Denzel drive the Hershey Hill Climb.