Sign in to follow this  
ricko1

use of the word ponton? pontoon pooton?

I dont even know if i spelled it right but in talking or reading about cars( mercedez comes to mind) you hear them called ponton style where does this originate and why. i must be crazy but it is stuck in my mind. thx ricko

Ponton is the German word for bridge, and when the new M-B cars were released in 1954, a German journalist likened their front suspension to a bridge-strut sytem spanning the engine bay.

The name stuck, is often mis-spelled (pontoon), and they're sometimes referred to as "Roundies" due to the body shape.

CA_220S_and_GeorgeX.jpg

1959 220SE Cabriolet spied at a West Coast show.

57_ebay_No_Pkg_Lts2.jpg

1957 220S Sedan with Webasto Sunroof.

The most desirable Pontons are '56-'60 220S & 220SE Cabriolets and Coupes, and any sedan with the full-roof Webasto Sunroof. To me they are the forgotten Mercedes, eclipsed in the public's minds by the sportier 190SL & 300SL's, but are rapidly growing in popularity. We have two '58 220S Cabriolets under restoration at this time.

220S_Minichamps.jpg

Sweet little 1/43rd scale model I just picked up on ebay.

Learn more about Pontons here. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ponton/

TG

I believe that the word "pontoon" refers to fender style. In the mid/late thirties, cars went from more open "wing" style fenders to the bulbous and more rounded full fender. The "pontoon" word came from seaplane landing gear with wheels and pontoons (water floats) so as to be able to land on sea or land.

When you google pontoon or ponton it will show a Cord with pontoon style fenders.

The worlds finest "Pontoon" fenders were those on the 1957 Ferrari Testa Rosa, Dolly Parton on wheels.