Compression test

Oldsfan

Gee...

I signed up for moderator duty on this board and I feel like the Maytag repairman... frown.gif

Did a compression test on my '55 last night. What do you folks think about these numbers?

#1 145 #2 150

#3 85 #4 80

#5 110 #6 80

#7 20 #8 150

I'm assuming #7 is a burned valve.

Paul

Guest imported_pete324rock

A leakdown tester would be helpful as well...there was a site that shows how to make one and I did for under 20 bucks...but anyways getting back,the reason I mentioned that is you can hear the air escaping when you use it,and maybe it is a valve staying open,either stuck or you have a stuck lifter.Check for tension on the pushrods on that bad cylinder,you should be able to spin the pushrods at t.d.c. (an indication of no tension) and compare with those that do to see what I mean.Keep posting,hopefully I can help.

Glenn beat me to the punch! Civility in the Olds world is clearly the norm...

Paul, are you looking for something to moderate? Be careful what you wish for. Normally, I wouldn't expect you to seek out such potential conflict.

I think I participated in another Olds forum somewhere that needed some moderating... perhaps we can recruit some of their more normal guys to post over here?

BTW, a leakdown test can definitely give you a good idea of what may be wrong, all without having to take anything apart.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 61Oldsguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Civility in the Olds world is clearly the norm...</div></div>

What a play on words! Betcha thought I wouldn't catch that. You get an A+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 61Oldsguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I participated in another Olds forum somewhere that needed some moderating... perhaps we can recruit some of their more normal guys to post over here?

</div></div>

One guy has already asked me for a link to this forum. We'll see what happens.

Paul

To celebrate the Olds forum catharsis that Paul & I have recently undergone, I introduce my new avatar illustrating my '61 Starfire AND my new forum name (which may appear familiar): Starfire61

I don't recall why I signed up as 61Oldsguy anyway- Starfire61 has been my Ebay name for the last nine years, & I've used it on several other forums, too.

I've intended to make this change for awhile. Thanks to Oldsfan for giving me a reason!

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#1 145

#2 150

#3 85

#4 80

#5 110

#6 80

#7 20

#8 150

I'm assuming #7 is a burned valve.</div></div>

Without knowing any more, pull your heads and recondition. While you're at it, install a good roller chain.

I don't know how many miles are on this engine, but since you have the top half apart, this might be a good time to do the bottom (while you're at it).

Reconditioning the heads will restore compression. On very worn piston rings, that can be a cause of accelerated but inevitable death. It happened to me on a '59 Pontiac. That engine ran GREAT after doing the heads, and it started instantly, but not for long. The rings were over 100k old, and they soon started blowing-by from the new-found compression. I didn't do the bottom because I was a kid, and didn't have much money.

Lesson learned: Do it right, or leave it alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pete324rock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back to the topic...wondering how you made out? </div></div>

I decided to sell it, for various reasons. It's on eBay right now. Hopefully going to Sweden.

Paul

Guest imported_pete324rock

Yes ,I see it now. Very fine car.A very good description as well.The underbody shots are are of cancer? peeling undercoating? they are not so clear,perhaps I didn't read the description fully.Anyways,good to see you are getting bidders

Nope, that's not peeled undercoating. That's rust. Those pictures aren't as good as the rest. They were taken with a cell phone, which is all we had at the time, and he didn't have it set right. I'd have played with the motor if we didn't find that rust. I just don't want to get into the repair work on that car. I'd rather paint my Starfire.

Paul