41 Clipper Driver window removal

Guest 49packard

Guest imported_49packard

I recently removed the driver side window on a 49 Packard. I unfortunately gave my repair manual away. Is the 41 removal similiar to 49 and can someone refresh my memory on how to remove the window?

thks

David

Guest imported_49packard

Yes-first thing I checked. I could not find a repair manual other than engine related nor could I find what I had for repair manual for my 49. As I remember it is not difficult. Remove the trim/handles/side panels. There was a trick in actually removing the glass from the carrier.

David

Guest imported_Speedster

In the '37 Senior, the inner wood panel, that is attached with screws, is lowered as the crank is turned, so the assembly's rollers go to the gap in lower-edge of window-channel, then removed. It really takes at least 2 people, one hand on crank assembly/panel, one on crank and 2 hands on window-glass to hold it up. Then window edge guide can be loosened on one side to remove glass. The glass can be removed from channel by sliding a hammer on the glass, to tap it off. A piece of thin cardboard can be used to protect glass if it is to be reused.

I would think the '41 would be similar?

If you run across another copy of the Service Manual for 47 and prior years, I would like to get a scanned copy for the website. I have tried to find those earlier ones, but have yet to locate one available for scanning.

I hope to be able to get all the Service Manuals, STBs, SLs, and SC's up on for all of the years as those are the most important documents to someone trying to get their Packard running. Right now the majority of the website content is Post-War as there was just more of that content available in peoples collections. But several folks have contributed some very nice pieces for the pre-war years, and those are slowly filling in. Hopefully we can get more people to help out by donating a scanned copy of any original Packard content they might have, and we can get everything available online for free. These pieces are jsut getting older and older, so lets get them digitized before they end up in a trashbin, or in the bottom of a flooded basement somewhere.

Thanks! smile.gif

Guest imported_49packard

Kev-I owned a 49 Packard until sold this year. I am helping a friend with a 41 Clipper. So far the 41 and 49 are almost identical-so far- as far as mechanical and the way the interior etc is put together. I gave my repair manual for the 49 away with the car. However they are readily available. If it will help I will stay alert for either a 49 or 41 manual. I know the 49 manual has approximately 300+ pages. That is a alot of scanning.

David

Problem is the ones readily available are reprints & picts are not good -also the copyright issues for scanning.. Original was thin individual volumes or sections in a slipcase type deal. I think I know who might have one as well as other pre war but prying it away even for a bit is the issue.

Guest imported_Speedster

I learned a lot from this thread also (HH56's attachments). Mainly that '41 windows are VERY MUCH Different than '37s, and like post-war years. grin.gif

Guest imported_49packard

Success! The 41 Clipper window system is identical to the 49 Packard which I am more familiar with. This is in every mechanical detail. By the way-I think the 41 clipper with fender skirts is very European in appearance.

Thanks for all the help.

David