1948 Pontiac Torpedo Distributor Lobe Free-Play Question

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> I beg your assistance from a newbie owner of a 1948 Pontiac Torpedo Convertible 8 Cylinder.

My distributor fills with metal dust and causes skipping etc.

I just took out the distributor and disassembled . After removing point plate and three ball bearings, underneath revealed the governor advance mechanism. It appears that there is a 360 degree groove in the distributor housing where the two flat weights have travelled beyond the normal limit. This can happen when I lift up on lobe . Should this end-play exist? Should there be a 360 degree grove in the outer distributor housing that corresponds to the full extension of the flat weights?

What are the remedies? Where can I get a distributor cap with the tall tower and other quality Pontiac flathead ignition and other parts?

Advice much appreciated from a Pontiac Flat Head Newbie in Maine.

Thanks Charles

The weights should not move far enough out to make contact with the housing. It sounds like the free weights are worn and allowed to slide over the bar that stops them. It may just need new weights or springs but I am pretty sure that there is someone around that rebuilds these. I don't have any information in front of me but if someone doesn't come up with more information, I will locate mine.

Guest CharlesinMaine

Thanks, I really need to know if the lobe should have end-play. What holds the lobe to the distributor shaft? It is when I lift up on the lobe that the weights spread apart and I believe that this might be the cause of my problem when the vehicle is running though I would think the roter spring tension would keep downward pressure on the lobe?

Your help that of others would be much appreciated. When it comes to distributors I am at a loss..

Charles In Maine