1934 Buick hood ornament

Guest ewing

I noticed a posting in the aaca general forum, with a guy looking for a 34-35 Buick hood ornament.

I have had a very nice 34 Buick flying lady hood ornament ever since I first drove down the back lane as a kid in high school with my first car, the 38. My friend's dad called me and said my 38 reminded him of his old 34, and in fact when he traded it in he kept the hood ornament, which he was sure was still sitting in his tool box.

He went and dug it out and gave it to me.

Well, I have had it for maybe 40 years now, and still haven't found a 34 Buick to put it on.

The post looking for one got me to wonder what fair value would be for this ornament ( It sits on display with a couple of other Buick hood ornaments I am fond of, including a 38, and a true 47....now, not wanting to profiteer, but if I never get a 34, it could at least pay for some of my other car needs...)

So, no answer on the aaca forum, I wonder what you guys think fair value for a nice , not pitted 34, complete and correct would be worth... typically?

You know Mark, that is good advise, plain and simple.

I guess my problem is I just don't know what fair value is and I'd hate to feel like I got skinned either.

So I'll ask.

and, thanks Norb, ... I think that you can get repros on them ??, but repros are rarely as fine, in the detail, as the originals.

Guest imported_Thriller

In the truck today you said you told the whole story...I'm sure these guys want to hear about the sweater...it adds a smile to your story.

Oh yea, the rest of the story is... I made a mounting piece so I could put it on the 38 ( right after it was given to me by my friend's dad).

So my sister looked at it and figured she should have something on to be 'decent' , so she knit a sweater for the hood ornament, and I put it on her.

Funny thing is , I had this sweater on when I took it to high school and to club events, and you'd be surprised how many times I caught guys pulling down the sweater to take a peek to see what was holding the sweater up.

That's the rest of the story... guess I'm lucky I still have her. ( I actually took her off after a few months because she was attracting too much interest)

I'm the guy looking for the hood ornament. It's unfortunate that people like Norb think that is worth thousands! It's a wonder prices keep going up on over-inflated items. What happened on Wall Street today, which will continue no doubt, is the overinflated way of thinking. That hood ornament will do a lot of good someday when it's worth nothing!

Regards,

Jay

Mine is nicer for sure and all the mounting trim looks the same. I did notice some subtle differences in the veil shape between this example and mine. The hook is I don't see the id numbers located as on this ebay example. So I'm thinking that this may be an old replacement?? I know it was handed to me in about 1966 or 67. Would someone be making repro's in the 40's or 50's and 60's? Here are some pictures.

dsc04254lm3.jpg

dsc04249nv2.jpg

dsc04248hu1.jpg

dsc04255la3.jpg

Jay,

I don't think Norb was out of line speculating. I have personally been on the receiving end of great deals, free at times, from good friends. I have also paid WAY TOO MUCH in bidding wars with people who want/ need a part that is made of "Unobtanium". It's a very unfortunate part of our hobby. Many parts, especially but not limited to pre-war items, go for very high prices due to the limited number available. I paid handsomely for convertible pinchweld trim that all B body cars from GM used, even Impalas. Unfortunately for me it was a bad design that snapped easily when removed. I paid what I had to because I needed it. Ewing stated earlier that he wasn't trying to be a "profiteer" and I believe him because he is a stand up guy around here on the forum. I would suggest this moves into the private mail sector because he should have an idea what he wants to do at this point.

Respectfully,

Mike,

Thank you very much for your input. I am sorry if I came across a bit harsh, and do understand what you are saying. Ewing has been in contact with me and has been a true "gentleman" in our dealings. I was just a bit frustrated when I've been searching for something for so long, then to have someone mention that "it could be worth 1000's" when we know it's not. Again, I appreciate your sincerity.

Regards,

Jay

Thanks Mike. I took Norb's comment of 1000$ to mean in the order of $1000 for a nice original. That struck me as about right. But now as you see I wonder about the 'pedigree' of my ornament. Nice detail, old, but original? not sure.

And to Mark's comment off the top, here's another story....I found a Nash flying lady hood ornament many years ago (oddly someone stuck it in the ground, out in the country, with just the arms and head above ground... weird I know) and recently 'gave' it to a guy in the club here. He didn't want to just take it, so to make it a cash deal he settled on giving me $5 for it. It has been displayed on his Nash Met for several years now and I feel good about it every time I see it. It isn't always about the money.

So this thread has helped me get closer to figuring out what I have. Thanks.

On this subject of '34 - '35 hood ornaments, can any of you answer my question buried in this: Buick used 2 "different" ornaments for '34 - '35 cars. "Different" because they have 2 different Buick part numbers. I don't know what the "difference" is but something is different. Maybe the mounting lug dimensions? Anyway, one part number for the '34 - '35 Series 40 cars and the other part number for the '34 - '35 large series cars. This is also evident as there are 2 different Ternstedt part numbers for the 2 different ornaments. (The ornament that sold on ebay #290250778782 was one of the numbers). Can any of you confirm which Buick part number corresponds to which Ternstedt part number?

Also, Jay, you are looking for an ornament for your Series 40 car? Do you know which Ternstedt part number you are looking for?

Dave

I know from past experience that the series 40 ornament is definitely smaller in dimension than the larger series, exact measurements I don't have at hand, I could probably dig out a rough original ornament to check the number if no one else has that info at hand.

From memory the details on the larger series was a little different too, I think the flowing robes had more lines/detail than the series 40.

The larger ornament will fit the series 40 as I used one some years ago on a series 40 I had, I don't think it needed any widening of the mounting holes but if it did, it was not much.

I got that ornament from a gentleman in the BCA that reproduced the larger ornaments and advertised in the Bugle, he did a beautiful job but sadly he passed a way some years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dave,

I just returned from abroad and saw your question is regards to the Ternstedt number. I honestly don't know which one it is? I did contact Ken Thornton and he had one for sale which I did purchase. It just arrived this past week. I am still on the hunt for another one. Should you come across one, please let me know. I am more than willing to buy it. Thanks again!

Regards, Jay

34 Buick 40

35 Buick 50

82 MB 380SL

2004 Bentley Arnage RL

2006 MB S-500

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everone out there that has helped in my search for a Hood Ornament for a 1934 Buick Model 40. I have been sent an original ornament from a 1934 Buick Model 40 for $495. It is in pristine conditon. Again, thanks to all who have helped out in this quest.

Regards,

Jay

• 4 months later...
Guest 40series

I know this is an old thread but to answer your question. the 40 series ornament was smaller in scale and the flowing hair was clipped square on the ned where the larger series ornament was more of a shovel point. The one Ewing has pictured is an early reproduction. The where made but no longer that I can find.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ewing

I'd agree, its likely an early reproduction... had to be early 60's at the latest. ( that I know as it was handed to me around 67, and I know it sat in the tool box for at least a few years, probably more).

The detail is nice on the ornament... I still think it would look good on the hood of a 34 convert. Anyone have one for sale? I'm not fussy, 2 dr or 4 dr convert ok.