going to look at a 65 Riviera, what should I look out for?

cjp69

Where are the problems on the 65 Rivs that I concentrate on?

Car has less than 100k miles, original, not rebuilt. Low option car, no extra power options.

Clamshells aren't working, how big (expensive) of a problem is that?

What parts are expensive / hard to find that I want to make sure are present and in good order?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Look for rust in the trunk in an around the rear window. Lift up the trunk mat. Also check the front floorboards as there is a seam there.

I'd check to make sure the heater core isn't leaking which is a common thing in these cars. I know it's not a biggie but I don't recommend you driving it with coolant coming out all over the place.

• 3 weeks later...

The timming chain cover is actually the back half of the water pump and was very seceptible to corosion and eventually leaking into the oil pan. There was severe pitting in mine so I had it heli-ark welded, that was 17 years ago and haven't had a problem since. And as stated above, pay particular attention to the rear window area and any place on the car where there are moldings and or script.

As far as the clamshells, they were always a problem,(first and last year of that design, so the bugs were never worked out) especially the switches at the motor. As the years go by, parts are getting harder and harder to find... NEVER thorw anything away! Good, bad, working, or not, don't throw it away.

<<steve, 3560>>

Guest musclecarfan65

hi chris.

problems on my 65 rivi (116K miles) where:

sheet metal: rear window (as mentioned above take a detailed look into the trunk and inspect the interior compartement in that area); A-pillar area (interior & exterior); front edge of the hood; small sections of the lower front fenders.

chassis/suspension: body mounts

A/C: leaking heater core

electrical: switches for the clamshell lights; interior lighting & clock issues due to lost ground.

all in all very few problems for such an old car! :-)

regards,

dirk.