Rocky Mountain brakes.

W_Higgins

I have a question regarding Rocky Mountain brakes on a Model T -- Are they allowed in judging without having to take a point deduction? My understanding is that they are categorized the same way as turn signals as long as they are tastefully installed. Such a discussion can be read here:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ub...igna#Post426556

So, what say you?

To the best of my knowledge Rocky Mountain brakes have never been categorized as an allowed safety feature for judging. That being the case they would earn you a deduction. To have an item added to the safety feature list you would need to contact the VP Class Judging and show cause as to why the vehicle is not safe without your mentioned item or that your state or some other state(s)requires that feature in order to drive the car on its roads, ie seat belts and turn signals in most states.

I would assume it's a safety issue and therefore would be allowed. I will be judging at a show tomorrow and will ask the Cheif Judge about it and post his reply.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and opinions. My thought regarding it as a safety feature goes beyond the arguments of those touting radials (not a fan of that exception, myself).

For those who don't know, stock Model T's only have one brake band and it's inside the transmission. It's a small amount of surface area to do the braking for the whole car, aside from the fact that if anything comes disconnected in the driveline, you have no brakes.

Looking forward to the follow up comments from the chief judge. Thanks for your time.