Sign in to follow this  
TG57Roadmaster

1912 Cadillac, '38 Willys at AutoFair

At Charlotte AutoFair, Spring & Fall, thousands of cars are for sale in the vendor fields and Car Corral. Occasionally among the collector cars circling the track at Lowes Motor Speedway are some real standouts.

12_Cad_Model_30_2.jpg

This 1912 Cadillac Model 30 Touring Car was one of them. Its asking price of $125K didn't seem too far afield considering today's restoration costs, but it went home with its owner, unsold.

12_Cad_Model_30_1.jpg

12_Cad_Model_30.jpg

12_Cad_Model_30_3.jpg

This was the year Cadillac adopted the self-starter developed by Charles Kettering. The Nickel Plate car literally towered over all other surrounding cars.

Another oddity found near Turn 3 was this super-rare '38 Willys Pickup that appeared to be restored to original condition. When was the last time you saw <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> Willys not turned into a Gasser or drasgstripper? The diminutive pickup was just too cute, had film provenance and was priced at $32K. I wish now I'd taken a few more pix of it, for posterity.

38_Willys_Pickup.jpg

FYI,

TG

Saw them both. The Cadillac was a very impressive machine; he took it around the track a couple times while we were there Friday.

Did you see the blue 1962 Electra coupe over in the auction holding area? Any car there I could have brought home, that would have been the one.

There was a near totally original 1964 Galaxie sedan that I thought was overall the best buy there at $3900. Yes, I thought about it. Yes, I realised it would just be another car that wouldn't get driven as it should. But it sure was nice.

Glenn,

The only other car I was smitten with was the pale yellow & white '62 Ninety Eight Coupe in the middle of the straight-away between Turns Two & Three. Too rich for my blood, but a pretty car nonetheless.

TG

That Ninety Eight had also been buggered. It had a 1971 455 and Turbo 400 in it which caused me to lose interest kinda quick. Not as quick as if it had had a SBC engine, but a car that nice should have had it's original driveline.

I guess what chapped my hindquarters was he kept saying the car came like that.

Did you notice how many Edsels were there? More than I've ever seen in one place.

Glenn,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...he kept saying the car came like that.</div></div>When he got it, maybe? Perhaps he thought they <span style="font-style: italic">all</span> came that way. LOL

I didn't stick around the Olds long enough to get the poop, and missed the Edsels, too. There's always next Spring!

TG