1909 Buick Model F touring (two cylinder)

Ken_Ganz

I am a little new to this forum, but will try my best. I did send a message a while back regarding my water pump and have since resolved the problem with help from one of your members. Now I am back with a new problem. My car has a Carter Model BB-1 carberator that seems to be giving me trouble. This carb is an updraft carb that has been adapter to fit the intake manifold. The engine does not want to idle down and continues to run much too fast when I want to shut it off. I have cleaned the carberator and adjusted the idle setting, but it did not seem to make much difference. I am thinking of replacing the carb and would like to know if anyone knows what make and model I need for my engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ken Ganz

The original carb was a Schebler Model D, not a bad carburetor for a 1902 design, but nowhere near the quality of the BB-1.

Trying to quantify on a scale of 1 awful to 10 wonderful; I would rate the Schebler D at a 3 and the BB-1 at a 9. (Others might have a differing opinion).

If the car is a driver, and not a "numbers-matching" show car; I would suggest determining why you are having issues. The BB-1 was probably added by some previous owner that had issues with the Schebler.

Often, an engine that will not idle down is telling you it has a vacuum leak.

Jon.

Ken,

I run a BB1 carb on my 13 model 31 Buick with great success. There were three sizes of this carb. Hopefully, the previous owner matched the carb to the displacement of the engine.

Check the gasket between the carb & the manifold to make sure the hole in the carb flange is exposed to the vacuum in the manifold.

I have an exploded view of the BB1 in a pdf file. Send me a direct email and I will forward it to you.

durcodude@comcast.net

Thank you, Jon, for your repley to my message concerning the carburetor on my 1909 Buick. You suggested that I check for a vacuum leak, and about all I can find is that the throttle shaft bushings are worn and a little loose.

Do you know if there is any type of rebuild kit available or just bushings for this carb that I can purchase to tighten up this problem. If not, do you know of any technical data available for machining new bushings?

There is a vacuum hole in the flange of the Carter carb and the gasket also has a hole, but the intake manifold does not have any allowance for vacuum to the carb. Is this critical, and could I possibly just cut a small notch in the gasket to allow the manifold vacuum to get to the carb?

Once again, thanks for any information you can give me. Your help is very much appreciated.

Ken Ganz