Sign in to follow this  
Dave Wyatt

Best Comment Overheard at a Show

All this talk of Hershey triggered a fond memory. It was back in the mid 70's and my first trip to the Hoosier auto show and swap meet, at the 500 track in Indy.

The wife and I had worn ourselves out in the swap area and were finally checking out cars on the show field. We were looking at a row of early Thunderbirds when we came upon one car with a few people around it. One of those people in particular, was some guy in a Corvette T- shirt, running his mouth a mile a minute, much to the dismay of the T-bird owner.

The vette guy was offering all types of obviously unneeded suggestions on how to display the car. Finaly he suggested, covering the chrome air filter housing with a shop rag, so the sun did not reflect back and burn a hole in the hood. "That's how we do it on our Corvettes," he finished.

With that, the T-bird owner looked at him and said, <span style="font-weight: bold">"We don't play with plastic toys."</span> There was much smirking and even a giggle or two from the rest of us, but the vette guy just walked away with his head hung low.

That is a good one. Reminds me of a 'Vette we saw back in the early eighties, but not sure what year the car was. It had the upright fin all the way across the back. Written on the fin in very nice hand lettered script was <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Wrap Your A** In Fiberglass.</span></span> cool.gifgrin.gif