1953 > 1955 power steering

Rooster

Have a friend with a 1955 Special who wants to fit power steering. He has the option on getting a unit out of a 1953 Roadmaster. Apart from the obvious differences --- steering wheel etc. could this be fitted into a 1955 without too much trouble ?

Thanks.

Ken

Probably different. The steering shaft might be longer in the 53 RM just as it is in the 55 RM vs Special. Also the 53 has an earilier frame that may attach differntly.

Best to get the right unit or rebuild the manual unit and use well inflated new tires...radial or bias and it will steer easily.

Willie

• 2 weeks later...

Rooster

Getting ready to try and put a 56 power steering box in a 53 Super. Kind of the opposite from your friends situation. Anyway from what I can tell the mounting clamps are the same size. might have inner fender well and battery mount clearence problems because power unit is taller than the manual and steering shaft needs to be shortened. I am trying to keep the stock steering column and wheel. Keep me posted and I will let you know how things turn out for me.Don53

OK every one , we have just found a 1955 Century owner who is replacing all the running gear / mechanicals with modern stuff. So an opportunity is available to secure the correct power steering for this car. Problem is , it's across the other side of the country so shipping becomes an issue.

Oh well, we don't have much of a choice here. cry.gif