bakelite distributor cap repairs -- possible?

Guest bkrystad

Guest bkrystad

I've got a cracked distributor cap on our 23-4-35 project car, and no backup. I've got a WTB post on the buy/sell forum, but in the event that I can't find a donor, is there any hope of bakelite repairs? I understand it's touchy stuff that doesn't take to many (or any?) epoxies. What has anyone tried? Similar to steering wheel restoration? Or would the results just not be strong enough for use on a distributor?

If you grind out the crack with a V using a Dremel tool and fill it with 2 pack epoxy it should work OK. Use a product called Araldite or a similar product, but make sure it's the 24 hour stuff not the 5 minute. We used to do repair jobs all the time in my early years as an electrician using this method. A problem you will have is that the glue will tend to run out before it sets. Use a heat gun ( or hair drier ) sparingly to heat up the mixed glue before you add it to the joint. And maybe work it a little as it sets over a period of a few hours to keep it in the crack. Once it goes off leave it alone until set completely, usually give it 48 hours to be sure.