1987 Riviera

Nick3012

Hi everyone, I stumbled across your forums when I had my 89' Riviera. Anyway, I'm going to fast-forward to now. I work at an independent auto shop and on the showroom floor we have an 87 Riviera. I've become the "curator" of this car, since I'm the only one here who understands it. The touchscreen in it went out and I was told the screen from the 88-89 would fit it. I had one left over from my 89' Riviera and attempted to put it in today. Well it connected to the car, powered up, and worked. The downside is, it won't go all the way into the dash. It stops short roughly 2 inches. Comparing the two units, the original one has a flat back, whereas the newer style screen has a black cover that extends about an inch or a little more out the back of the unit, I'm assuming for the back part of the screen. Is there anyway to get this screen to fit in here as I haven't been able to find any 86'-87' screens that are still good. Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm at a loss here. If anyone can help, I would greatly appriciate it!

Thanks Very Much!

Nick

Nick,

These screen were problematic since they were new, and GM may have changed vendors to combat the quality issues. I would check to see if the 87 unit could be rebuilt; the upside being you would have the proper part in the car and the rebuilder may know of updates to improve the reliability.

Just some thoghts,

Tim

Nick,

From what I read in '86 thru '92 Riviera & Reatta parts catalog, a driver info display (crt screen) for '86 thru '89 is part #25087845. The housing (called a bracket by GM) that the info display goes into is also for '86 thru '89...part #1643037. So, any of those years should be interchangeable for both parts.

Sorry about the long time to reply. First I would like to thank everyone for their help! It's very much appriciated. We purchased building that used to be a Ford dealership and use the whole building as our shop. It's nice to be able to have all this room to move around (and to store more stuff!). The area behind the screen is just a metal bracket. Would it help if I were to take pictures of the screens and the area behind the screen in the car?

I have a couple of part numbers:

25086163 - The part number for the screen in the car, I called the local dealer and had them look it up. It came up with the screen for an 86' Riviera.

25087664 - Is the part number for the 87' screen, as the dealer told me from looking it up. I can't imagine have a different part number for the same thing, only one year appart.

25087845 - Part number for the screen for an 88'-89' Riviera/Reatta, the one that won't go all the way in the dash.

I had thought about putting it on the Reatta board also, but since this is concerning the older type screen that wasn't in the Reatta, I didn't know if they could help.

From what I have been able to find out, you can't rebuild the 86'-87' Riviera screens. The general problem with them is that the actual tube goes out and you cannot source the part anymore. Tomorrow, I'll bring my camera up with me and take a couple of pictures.

Thanks very much everyone!

Nick

Guest Riviera66

I've pulled several of these over the years from cars in the junkyard. There is a surprising degree of variability. 1986 and early 1987 Rivieras have a touch screen that has no physical buttons on the top and bottom. Sometime in late '87 they switched to a style that has quick access buttons to take you to the key things you want to get to. But, then they changed what the possible display options were ...I think in '88? I know the two style backs to the screens you describe... one is way long and pointier. And if you did get it installed, you'd find that what the buttons access won't be what the buttons say they access....(sorry I can't be more specific... I think it is a 'gages' button that's different... I'd have to go to the attic to see which screens I still have to see what the difference is.)

Message me directly at riviera66@aol.com and let me know whether yours is early or late '87 style... and I can check if I have one.

Darwin Falk

ROA#2077

i sold many of these cars new at the dealership...The 86-87 have the same screen. 88-89 are the same they added black buttons on the outside of the screen for 88-89 but remember it may not be the screen. there is a power supply in the floor shiter on the drivers side check that as well. there are lots of places that will rebuild those now. they where produced by zenith. call a place called specmo in flint MI they where the AC delco dearlers i had mine fixed for 300.00 bucks. the screens balance on four pins in the corner i have three 89's restoring one. if you get a power supply out of a Reatta the screen will flash "reatta" when you close the door. you can call me or e mail me at buickrivieraman@yahoo.com i have tons of parts as well

thanks

Nathaniel

Flint MI

(2) 1985

(3) 1989

(1) 1998

(1) 1999

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rivieriaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 86-87 have the same screen. 88-89 are the same they added black buttons on the outside of the screen for 88-89</div></div>

The late '87s all have the black buttons also. I still don't know the year they changed the button option and changed the cathode tube back

Darwin Falk

ROA#2077

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if you get a power supply out of a Reatta the screen will flash "reatta" when you close the door. </div></div>

Actually whether the screen displays Reatta or Riviera is set via the option code programming value. Change the number and it displays the logo appropriate to the numerical value set.