Non Reatta opinion question

Guest CL_Reatta

Guest CL_Reatta

Hi Guys, there are many automotive forums on the internet, but I trust the info on this one the most.

I have a question to aks the experienced and knowledgeable people here. I looked at a 1992 Capri XR2 (turbo) the other day. It has 155k on it. I would like your guy's (and ladys smile.gif )opinion on the reliablity of the motor with 155k on it. its that 1.6 mazda motor, used in the Miata. I know they can last, but 155k with a turbo seemed kinda high. Opinions?(can you tell im more of a 6+ cylinder person?)

Guest weewilly

I have 2 1991 capri's both with turbos,one has 130K the other has 180k theye both run well, except the one with 180k has problem of smoking which think is due to the turbo. To me there are more problems with the turbo than specifically the engine itself. If taken care of and left to cool down before turnig off the turbo will continue running well. good luck.' Anyone out there have any Ideas on what to do about the smoking????

Guest F14CRAZY

The oil seal in the turbo can go bad (it's lubricated by the engine's oil supply). It happened with my dad's Power Stroke...thing was smoking like a freight train

Guest weewilly

F14CRAZY, How do you fix the turbo can, yes mine smokes like a freight train, I have a question can the turbo be disabled? Any advise, or where to go and ask would be really helpful?

thanks in advance

dave

Guest weewilly

F14CRAZY, How do you fix the turbo can, yes mine smokes like a freight train, I have a question can the turbo be disabled? Any advise, or where to go and ask would be really helpful?

thanks in advance

dave

Guest F14CRAZY

My dad had a rebuilt unit installed. I don't think you could really disable it other than maybe disconnecting the waste gate so it doesn't build boost but it would still be spinning all the time, just not providing boost

Guest CL_Reatta

Well, I bought a 1990 white Miata instead... 1 owner,82k highway miles. one rust spot. like new interior. 150k seemed kinda high still