37LZ V12 some ???

mglz

Greetings to all,

Ok, so I've been driving my '37 zephyr sedan with a 46-48 Flathead V8 59AB for the past 6 years and finally blew the V8, long story short i need a new engine. I will be pulling this engine out soon and hopefully you have answered my questions by then....so here we go...

1. what are the chances i have the original zephyr 3spd trans behind the V8?? and how can i ID it after i remove it. Trans works great i'm hoping it will fit some/all V12 engines.

2. the only visible mod i see is a soldered crossmember where the V8 motormounts sit, when swapping the V12 for the V8 was this just a engine swap or is there a chance the whole driveline was changed to early Ford?? rear axle has no overdrive unit.

3. I'm working on getting an V12 from Merv Adkins budget permitting...so here is the Million$$$ Question....

what would be other options for an engine besides the flathead V8 or V12??? that would be an easy swap just for driving around and maybe saving the V12 for later use. hoping a late FORD or LINCOLN engine from 70-80-90's maybe..will that be possible???

hope I made some sense in these questions and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Zephyr seems pretty much all stock besides the V8, Let me know if you need any other info to answer my ???'s.

Thank you,

Mike

Guest imported_V12Bill

Mike,

The transmission in your car most likely is either a Ford or Lincoln floor shift or it would be obvious that it was replaced. The seriel number of the car that the transmission was originally installed in will be just above the inspection hole in the top of the transmission bell. Your VIN will be stamped in a flat area above the inspection hole if it is the original. If it came from an other 36 or 37 Lincoln the VIN should start with Hx to Hxxxxx. If it is a Ford transmission it will have at least 6 digits to the VIN.

You say you have a crossmember "soldiered " in? I hope you mean welded in. It was probably the Ford crosmember to make the swap easier. The Lincoln front motor mounts should bolt into the front crossmember.

Any engine can be installed in your car besides the correct V 12. OHV conversions have been done thousands of times and thousands of cars have bit the dust because the chassis could not handle the excess power. Good luck getting your Lincoln back on the road.

The serial number stamped above the inpection plate on the front housing of the transmission will tell you what it is.

1937 numbers start at H15529 and go to H45529.

Why not just keep it Ford V8 powered until you get a V12 ready for it? A Flathead, late model Merc ('49-'53) would move it along just fine and there wouldn't be too much mods to do as most of it has already been done. The '49 and '50 Mercs and pickup trucks all used the bell housing adaptor neccessary to bolt up to your transmission.

I doubt that the driveline was changed as the Ford engine bolts right up to the transmission used in the Zephyrs.

If you really can't get a deal on a Lincoln V-12, BMW makes the most popular V-12 in the world. Don't put in a pedestrian motor (like Chevrolet), keep your class. After all, it is a Lincoln. You'd have the usual issues of fabbing motor mount plates, converting to open drive shaft, etc. When you pull the motor form the donor car, get all the wiring, computers, etc.

Abe