Sign in to follow this  
papete

63 galaxie trunk stunk

I just purchased a 63 Galaxie and can not get the trunk open. A key broke off and now the the small barrel just turns. Any suggestions? I do not want do go in by way of the back seat or package tray. Thanks

To get in without damaging the trunk lid or surrounding moldings, I think you will have to go in through the back seat.

If you pull the back seat out (Very easy. The seat bottom just lifts and pulls out. The seat back is held in by two screws at the bottom of the seat frame that screw into brackets in the floor and by two brackets at the top that loop over the frame. At least that is the way it is in my 64 convertible. Yours is probably the same or very similar.), you will find that the opening into the trunk is covered by a cardboard sheet (if it is still there). Cut/remove the sheet and crawl through. Replacement cardboard is available. I just used a section of a large box, painted flat black on the trunk side. Crawl through the opening (with a flashlight) and use a screwdriver to flip the latch lever. Depending and the opening size and your size, you may need someone small to do this. Slip one of the neighbor kids a few bucks and see if they want to go "caving." grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: papete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a 63 Galaxie and can not get the trunk open. A key broke off and now the the small barrel just turns. Any suggestions? I do not want do go in by way of the back seat or package tray. Thanks </div></div>

Guess you weren't really interested in getting an answer or did not like the answer you got. Oh, well.

Thanks for your interest and your suggestion. I did pull the back seat and found as you said but my car only has 24000 miles and is mostly original and I am reluctant to cut the cardboard. I thought I would try a locksmith, especially after I broke the key off. I am searching for a new lock but so far have only found trunk locks for 62 and 64 Galaxies. Maybe I will have some luck at Hershey or Carlisle. Again thanks.

simply REMOVE the cardboard then so you can replace it when you are done

it was a simple operation when they were made new

simple task now as well

that is the simplest, cheapest and BEST way to get the job done ...

the others are not trying to steer you wrong, they/we are correct

Cardboard is way cheaper than a locksmith. The lock unbolts from the inside of the trunk. The lock cylinder, which is what needs to be replaced, is the same for 1960 - 1964 Galaxies. It is a separate piece from the molding. It is available from Dennis Carpenter, Greg Donahue, Dearborn Classics, and probably any of the other major old Ford parts suppliers.

If he took the back seat out, why on earth wouldn't he remove the cardboard? He should readily see it was installed from inside the car, not inside the trunk. Maybe he should hire someone else, so he can watch THEM remove the cardboard (especially if he's breaking trunk keys off in the cylinder).

What can I say. After 45+ years, I doubt the original carboard is worth saving. Reproduction cardboard is available and cheap. Like I said, I replaced my cardboard with a section cut from a box. Sprayed it flat black and used duck tape to install it. Looks perfectly stock from the trunk, and no one else sees it from the inside.

Well Bill, I have 'one up' on you! I replaced mine with 1/4" luan underlayment, so I could mount components to it from the trunk. It's flat black, and you can't tell it is wood, but it holds my inverter and other goodies, and looks BETTER than original. Notice I said, "BETTER than original." It is. Some of the crap they used to put our cars together with, back in the day, amounted to little better than junk (like the burlap in my bench seats). The gaskets (seals) under my windshield wiper bezels are leather because Ford didn't have anything better. What do you think I replaced them with? It wasn't more leather. Good polymers work better, last longer, and you can't see it. All my outside mouldings are filled with silicone sealer and secured with mylon clips, to prevent dirt and water from entering and causing rust. Non-purist? <--Guilty as charged. - Dave

Well, I didn't say what the box was for that I cut my divider from: it was a corregated cardboard box that originally contained something like 10 or 12 packages of PAMPERS! You can still read it on the side behind the back seat. LOL

Did as you suggested and did not even need to cut the cardboard by backing tne sheet metal screws out. Thanks for all who replied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: papete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did as you suggested and did not even need to cut the cardboard by backing tne sheet metal screws out. Thanks for all who replied. </div></div>

Congratulations. I'm guessing this is the first car you've bought to restore?

No Bill. this is not the first car but I usually need to do everything two or three times until I get it passable right. Luckie for me this car is in excellant shape and only needs the trunk lock and the power brake booster rebuilt. Any suggestions as to who to send the booster. Luckie for me there are people like you who help newcomers like me. Thanks and I have a lot more questions on a V-12 lincoln I am working on.But, that is for theLincoln Forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: papete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No Bill. this is not the first car but I usually need to do everything two or three times until I get it passable right. Luckie for me this car is in excellant shape and only needs the trunk lock and the power brake booster rebuilt. Any suggestions as to who to send the booster. Luckie for me there are people like you who help newcomers like me. Thanks and I have a lot more questions on a V-12 lincoln I am working on.But, that is for theLincoln Forum. </div></div>

ONLY two or three times? You're better than me! LOL.

Brake booster? 4-wheel manual drums for me! Though in a concession to safety, I did upgrade to a dual master cylinder from Master Power Brakes, this year.