Isopropyl Alcohol for Paint Prep

Guest Speedster

Guest imported_Speedster

I just remembered anothered reason I use 70% alcohol instead of higher percentage(90 or 100%), to clean parts prior to painting. The higher the percentage, the faster it evaporates, and with greater than 70% it evaporates from your cloth or towel too quickly. So you endup using a lot more and takes longer to clean an area properly.

Some water is needed in the mix to prevent that.

I forgot to mention, in the other thread, that you Never want to use Acetone to clean Painted surfaces, (for bare metal only). Unless you want to loosen the paint for removal. Sanding and Alcohol are only things needed for painted surfaces.

That is why a major company like PPG makes a product just for this purpose--<span style="font-weight: bold">DX330</span>. It is chemically engineered to do the job and not have problems like evaporation rates. It is not cheap, but as restorer 32 said on the other thread, redoing everything isn't saving any money either.

These products are designed for professionals who do not have time or money to waste, and want to hit it right the first time.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> redoing everything isn't saving any money either.

These products are designed for professionals who do not have time or money to waste, and want to hit it right the first time. </div></div>

But what I'm saying is that I don't have to redo anything, alcohol works great the first time, and to me buying expensive products, even tho they Are Great, is also a waste of money, since they are not necessary when alcohol will do the job with no problems.

Of course Professionals can Pass those extra costs on to their customers, wink.gif which I Can't. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW- Don't Waste your Drinkin' Alcohol, wiping down your car! It's just Not the same thing. shocked.gifgrin.gif </div></div> I sure can use some to drown cry.gif over my mess....

Guest Albert

I have seen the Product "prep" and it seemed like a mix of Alcohol and viniger.. which i have used to wipe down a car before painting.. they say it works to remove silacones as well...

• 10 years later...