303 OLDS valve adj. help!

postalguy

Greetings, can anyone advise me as to the step by step procedure for adjusting the valves (intake, exhaust) on a 1952 303 olds engine? Or, refer me to a website that has that info?

The '52 repair manual I have gives the proper specifications, but not the procedure for adjusting. Appreciate any help, thanks...George

Guest imported_pete324rock

George,I'm a little mystified.Are you luckcy enough to have aftermarket adjustable rockers on that olds? Other than that,you are running hydraulic lifters that run at zero lash.

Hey Pete32,

A little background. The previous owner advised me that the engine was trash. He couldn't even get fire out of the distributor. Anyway my friend, a very good but not advanced mechanic, got the engine running. Discovered the heads were shot, multiple cracks.We took alook inside the block and found the all the internal parts, crank, lifters pistons, etc., has been replaced, all appeared to be fairly new and unmarked. had the heads rebuilt. The push rods look original, each one having what seems to be an adjustment nut at the top where it meets the rocker? After the engine was reinstalled and everything hooked up, we tried to start it. It cranks but makes a whining noise (not the starter) and my friend stated that the valves needed adjusting? Removed the rocker covers and some of the rockers have more play than others where they meet the valve springs (coils?) Hope this clarifies a bit.

Guest imported_pete324rock

Wow george,you've put alot on my plate! And it's not April 1st.

Is the guy who you got the motor from still alive? If so,you better have a chat with him and take notes.

We are to assume this is a 303 olds motor?

Then,although I have not rebuilt a 303 motor and my experience is with the 324,some guys will use 324 parts on a 303 to get more performance.You can even substitute parts from mopar-connecting rods and chev-lifters ..etc to make all of this work.With chev lifters for example,you need shorter pushrods,so they say,so maybe the adjustables are there for that reason,for they are not stock.Maybe you are running solid lifters,and the specs you will need for adjusting those pushrods,I do not have.I suggest you find a good mechanic that will take an interest in this,and a few hours pay will get you much further ahead.If you have specific inquiries,give me a try.

Thanks Pete,

Yep, the eng. is a 303, all eng. ID #'s confirm such. Trans is original hydramatic too.

Previous owner sold the olds shortly after he bought it, cause he assumed the whole eng. was trash. He didn't do anything to it. Owner who obviously did the work in the block did pass away. Did find a web article on the step by step process for adjusting the valves using the sdjusting nut on the pushrods. I'll give it a shot. thanks again!