Glove box on '88

pal1955

Are you talking about the glove box or the trunk? The glove box has no electrical connections at all! If the battery is dead it does not matter.<P>The trunk on the other hand is all electric.If power should fail,you can open the trunk, at least on the 89 and I'm assuming the same on the 88, by opening the trunk access door in the back panel between the two radio speakers. You must have the door key to open this hatch, it will not open without the door key. Once opened, with flashlight in hand, look for an orange handle near the trunk latch. Tripping this handle will open the trunk. To get a good look at this handle, open the truck lid while everything is still working, and look underneath it near the latch. That way you know just where to look if you ever have to use it. Howard<p>[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Howard ]

Yeah, I bet this was the first thing they changed on the 89. Most idiotic thing I've every seen. Can you imagine trying to explain to the trooper that you can't show them insurance or registration information because you cannot get the glove box open after the battery got disabled in an accident? I put that important stuff in one of the boxes behind the seat.<p>[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: pal1988 ]

The 88 glove box uses a rear mounted electric solenoid that pulls a cable to unlatch the door. On the top of the mounting bracket for the solenoid, there is an opening that provides access to a plastic disc that can be slid in the direction of the cable movement to unlatch the door. But you may have to be Houdini to do it.

On the '88, the button bar on the consol has 5 buttons: fog, fuel, trunk, glove, and lamp retract. Except for what was noted above, the glove box button is the ONLY way to open the glove box. In the '89, as you know, the fuel and trunk releases were moved to the glove box.

It can only be opened when the ignition key is in the ignition or accessory positions or within the time that the radio woud stay active after the key is removed.<P>It is more convient than having to stretch to open the glove box door to open the fuel door or trunk, especially if you keep the glove box locked. And I do that alot.

Guest kennyw

guys,,,one of the 88's finer features if it is working right. Just press the botton and the glove box door come slowly open. Sort of like the space ships gangways that you see on old t.v. shows...If you glove box door just falls open then it is not working correctly..........Ken wink.gif" border="0

This is what I meant in a previous post when I said that the 89 was "decontented" from the 88. <P>GM has had a long standing habit of doing this - the initial model has all the gee-whiz features but after that cost-cutting & using standards parts takes over.<P>Twenty years from now I expect things like this will make a difference.

You get it to slow down by replacing or repairing the hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder has failed because the fluid leaked out.

The cylinder can be repaired by drilling a tiny hole where it won't interfere with normal installed piston travel or cause damage to the internal valve. I chose to drill mine on the upper side just below the circular crimp line. Then take a small stringe filled with fluid with seal swell such as Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid or motorcycle fork fluid. Fork fluids can be found in various viscosities if you want to vary the opening rate. Then seal the hole by cleaning and then soldering with a high wattage soldering iron.