Brakes

Guest alex_houston

Guest alex_houston

As soon as I get this fixed the boy will be back on wheels so this is somewhat important, to him more so than me since his '88 got vandalized.

I am trying to get the brakes on the '89 working.

Brakes seems good but no boost. I have 88, 90 and 91 manuals but the '89 seems to more like the 90 system.

The 5 amp fuse under dash is good, the 30 amp above the relays are good, I switched all the relays from the '88 which had no issues and the fuseable links are all good.

I have never tested a pressure switch, and I don't know just what to do. Also, just to swap out with a known good one, do I just unscrew the switch or is there an issue with fluid that will run out?

What else should I check and is there anything unique about the '89 from the 90?

Thanks

Guest steakneggs

You failed to mention whether or not the pump motor is running. If it's running without shutting off than either the pump is shot or the return line or reservoir is clogged. If the motor is not running it would be one or more of the excessive number of components (relays, fuses, control valve, pump motor, wiring) necessary for that function. How can the brakes be good with no boost? Steak

Guest alex_houston

Pump runs with jump. Is there some secret to removing the pressure switch I should look out for? I am on my way to buy a 1.42" deep socket but turning it against the pump motor with that rubber mount seems a bit scary.

Alex, the archives have a discussion of removing the pressure switch using an expensive set of plumbing wrenches. No point in paying big bucks for a socket you'll probably never use again. I used a wood wedge to try to keep that side unit from moving too much while turning the switch.

Guest alex_houston

I just removed the motor assy and swapped for another from an '89. I have never been able to test this one though since my parts car has never run. No difference. still motor does not come on. I started to go ahead and swap from my vandalized '88 but noticed the pressure line is different.

I put one motor assy in the vise but I cannot get the pressure switch to turn. I guess I will keep on trying?

Hard to beleive I would have two assy here with bad pressure switches. I suspect something else.

Guest alex_houston

Thanks Barney.

A little grinding on a 1 3/8 inch box end wrench and I got switches off. Put on the one from the vandalized '88 and the brakes work great.

Thanks for the confidence to keep trying everyone.

Now to change out the headlight assyemblies and fix the door window regulators and the kid is back on the road.

Guest alex_houston

Imagine that. Red '88 totally destroyed by Vandals lat Monday, and this Monday I had the '89 inspected. Kid is back on the road. That was at least a months worth of work I had to do to the '89!