Urgent Brake Problems

Let me start by saying that I have read reatta.net and also searched here and have not found a match for my problem. It starts out like some, I was driving down the highway and started to brake when the ABS and Red Brake light came on at the same time (I still remember the pit in my stomach and the instant sweat I broke out into). Here is where it differs... The pedal did not go to the floor, and I was able to stop from 60mph normally. This happened about 2 miles from my house. The lights stayed on, and yes, I kept a very large distance between myself and any vehicle in front of me just in case (I have read the horror stories). When I turned onto my street, depressing the brake pedal resulted in a humming/whining sound (from the pedal area) and a decrease in braking power and the pedal felt a bit softer. I do not know what to make of it. Needless to say, I have not taken it out on the road since. <P>I have had intermittent ABS light for some time now. I cannot find the relay that has been mentioned so many times (Advanced Auto Parts #MR 116). They tell me they have never heard of it. <P>Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Like many others here, I am very reluctant to just bring it to Buick.<P>I feel that every time I show up, they reach for the Vaseline container with the sand mixed in. Sorry to be graphic, but that pretty much sums up my opinion of service departments. <P>Thank you very much for your time! <P>Marek<BR>89 Burgundy Reatta (81,000 miles)

When I first turn the ignition on, if my foot is on the brake I feel a whirring vibration in the pedal and the pedal sinks somewhat. I attribute that to the hydraulic pump for the TEVES unit.<P>If the ralay is bad, the pump may not come on which results in a loss of boost and both lights will come on. This should take several pplications of the brake, not just one.<P>Lights on with one application is indicative of a bad accumulator.<P>Agree, in this case you do not need a Buick mechanic, you need one trained in the TEVES.

Guest wally888

Give car the brake tests and learn to recognize the sound of the pump running.<BR> You had a complete failure, probably. Even w/ both lights on you might have several seemingly normal brake applications...... then you should have hard pedal, poor braking.<BR> I would rather have something (relay, pump, press. sensor, solenoid valve) fail completely than be intermittant.<BR> There have been many "matches". Any dirty connection or intermittant pump relay.<BR> Do the tests ( read about partial relay failure) and if nothing shows clean all terminals to pump, press sensor, main valve-reseat relays............<p>[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: wally888 ]

When it comes to brakes one has to be very careful of the advice given. I have been able to take the new working relay out of its plastic housing and install it in the old Reatta housing. This is what I have done.