Accumulator removal

Guest My TC Toy

Guest My TC Toy

I am trying to remove my accumulator,I put my wrench around the shaft and proped against the shock tower with a piece of wood for support, I then try to unscrew the accumulator with an extended allan wrench. NO GO! I am afraid that I might tear the pump body out of its mounting or whatever.

Any suggestions, please.

Guest mtworkshop

Just unscrew the whole thing with the Allen wrench (or the combination wrench) and then unscrew the accumulator from the hex standoff using a vise and a chain wrench with a long pipe. Be careful not to mess up the plastic centering pieces inside the hex standoff or the tube inside the hex standoff.

If you get the black accumulator - you will need to cut away a bit of the metal lip under the hood gasket using a dremmel tool or similar. Use a coffee can or something to establish the cut. If you pull the plastic keepers carefully - you will not mess up the hood gasket and it will go back in place quite nicely. You will not have the same clearance with the black accumulator as with the stock accumulator.

Mike

Hey Mike, I replaced 2 accumulators on my '90s. I did not have to make any mods. The removed units were original and replaced with black ones from Larry. ?? Lou

Guest mtworkshop

Lou, You was lucky. I've replaced two accumulators and had to make clearance for both of them. But I'm driving 89s which are different than 91s.

Mike

Guest My TC Toy

Success.

I tried to remove the spacer shaft but it does not budge. So I put the ring end of ny Johnson bar (18") on the hex key and brute strength wins out. Hurrah!!

You were right, I did have to cut away about 1/4" of the cowl lip and a small piece of the seal flap but it cannot be seen.

Thanks for everyone's help, sometimes when we do something new we just need a little reassurance.

• 3 months later...
Guest vicsik1969

Finally, after a year of driving watching my Brake and ABS light illuminate due to an old accumulator, mine has been replaced.Reatta accumulator part number 25528382 from www.gmpartsdirect.com for $117 and $60- in labor from a local brake shop. No more lights and working ABS!

Pix Below

post-54335-143138025226_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143138025229_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143138025237_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143138025245_thumb.jpg

Guest vicsik1969

Brake fluid was flushed, too. I noticed the lighter color wasn't picked up in the "after" photo.

I was lucky to find a family owned shop that had been in business for over 40 years and actually remembered working on these systems. Even with that, I still gave them the factory manual and the mechanic expressed surprise at how forcefully the rear brakes bled themselves.

I was hoping to do the rear suspension over Christmas vacation but, since I've yet to order the shocks, that probably won't happen. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Alan,

My Brake Fluid is clear (like Water)

Lou </div></div>

Yes, as you have mentioned before Lou it does come out of the container clear. Unless you are flushing your brakes MONTHLY (or more) it does pick up some color from the brake system componants. In my opinion, it is impractical to maintain your the brake fluid in the system to a full colorless condition. smirk.gif Heck, your motor oil should be very see through inside your motor, it is when you pour it in right? Is that realistic though?

Alan