odd ignition problem

blondi is cutting out, just like you turned the key off for a momemnt (tack flicks too) I have changed the sensor in the distrubutor and cleanded the contacts in the plugs that come from it. It used to do this from time to time but just un plugging and re plugging in the distributor seemd to solve it. Any thoughts?

Guest David Simons

I had the same problem that you are describing. I posted it a while back. I would hope your problem is as simple as mine was. I had put a MSD coil on the car. The tip of the coil actually broke . As it cracked, the problem got worse until it broke completely off. That left me on the side of the road and forced me to hunt a bit harder. Fortunately for me, I still had the old one. I swapped it out on the side of the road and drove home. Just as you stated, I could see it in the tach.

Guest mtworkshop

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the vacuum hoses to the BAR solenoid were revised. That took a bit of tracing and troubleshooting!

Mike

GTP, Because you tach jumps a bit when the cut out happens, I still suspect your HEP. I did see that you changed it but let me offer these thoughts.

Just because you replaced it, doen't mean the new one is fully functional. Stranger things have happened.

Those contacts on the plugs to the HEP switch, you cleaned and insected them, are they tight? The female ends tend to 'open up' and fit loose on the male bullet end of the plugs causing an intermittant issue.

Those wires to the HEP switch often end up hanging or worse under tension by the way the main harness runs low and puts wieght on the relatively small wires to the HEP. I'd do some continuity checking to be sure you don't have an intermittant partial break in the wires either on the switch side or on the harness side.

Did you closely inspect the shutter wheel that the HEP recieves it's reference from? It just has little plastic welds or 'buttons' that hold the wheel to the plastic backing, they can and do fail partially at first causing a wobble, then eventually totally fail causing a walk home malady eek.gif A couple very small low profile screws with washers will ensure that they never loosen again.

I've seen the distributor caps installed backwards, there is a small relief in the cap that the flat HEP wires run under. If the cap is backwards, it will crush/break the wires.

The tach recieves it's signal from the HEP which is why I still want you to focus there a bit longer to elimnate any componant of the HEP as a possible culprit. Good that you are observant and caught the little tach jump when the hiccough happens cool.gif

Alan

Hi, That unit is such a problem, I think I would replace it again, using Mopar only, and carefully check every related piece as I had my hands in there. Good Luck, Lou