Replacing rear 6 1/2 speakers with 6x9's

I have a '89 with 6 1/2 speakers plus the tweeters in the rear. Is it possible to replace them both with 6x9's? I've seen a '90 with some in it and was wondering are 6x9's stock? What do I need to replace these speakers with 6x9's? I've looked for an answer on this forum and couldn't find the info. What do you know?

Just get the mounting brackets from a 90-91 Reatta.<P><B>BUT </B>why would you want to???<P> argue.gif Would like to spark a lively spirited discussion here. <B>I think that rear speakers in a 2 seater are completely a waste of money and you can NEVER get good sound from them no matter how much or how good they are!!!</B><P>Here is why. Your ears can tell where frequencies above 80 to 100 Hz (some say 120hz) are coming from. With only excellent front speakers and electronics you can get phenomenal frequency response an outstanding soundstage and full stereo effects.<P>By adding rear speakers of any quality you only confuse your ears and destroy or degrade the soundstage and stereo effects. You just are filling the cabin with a cacophony of sound/music it just will not have any focus, stereo imaging or soundstage. The marketers not audiophiles put rear speakers in 2 seaters.<P>In a 4 door rear speakers are a compromise to allow passengers in the rear seat to hear the music. They will never hear it in its full splendor because it is coming from behind them and their ears are directionally sensitive. How many concerts have you gone to and sat with your back to the music NONE! <P>In a 4 seater I think the fader should be adjusted so the front passengers can not hear the rear speakers. Their sound will only degrade their listening experience.<P>This is why I go to great efforts and extremes to fit the best 6 X 9s in my front doors. I am looking for that perfect sound stage. Rear speakers can only ruin it. I can not think of any circumstances where a full range rear speaker will not harm the quality of your sound. You may have more sound but it will always be lousy sound. <B>Perhaps </B> the only thing a rear speaker should/could be used for is as a sub woofer for frequencies less than 80 hz that are not directional and therefore you can't tell where they are coming from.<P>As an experiment adjust your faders to full front and I believe that you will have a much better sounding and imaging system.<P>Just my 2cts and looking for argue.gif<p>[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Guest Greg Ross

<B>"Lively Debate is it?"</B><BR>I've always preferred some cabin balance, run my sound system leaning towards the <B>Bass</B>end of the frequency spectrum so perhaps you're right. What I'm seeking balance wise is the Bass to come through from those rear speakers.

I agree with Ross, my rear speakers are my base. Well right now they are all I have because my front speakers are blown and I havent got to replacing them (blown when I bought the car) But I have a set of pioneer 4way speakers in the rear and they are great.

GM Ross, this is how I set my '90 coupe up: Alpine head unit, in the doors I have 5.25" mids and 1" tweeters powered by a 4 channel Alpine amp. In the rear I have MB Quart 6.5" mid drivers and 1" tweeters also powered by a Alpine 4 channel amp. And in the trunk I have two JL Audio 12" dual voice coil subwoofers powered by an Xtant 1001d amp. The tweets in the rear deck are pretty much usless other that filling space. But all the Bass is towards the rear of the car and the mids and highs are up front. I'm sure you won't need the power that I'm using for a stereo, but using lower power equipment with the same set up should give you what your looking for. cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

I feel very different about front versus rear speakers. <BR>I find front speakers to almost be a safety issue...since most driving "action" is happening ahead of you, I find having most of the sound coming from the front to be very distracting. <P>I come from a studio background, where you have just two very high quality monitoring speakers projecting towards you from 2 directions, not from 4 or more directions and speakers like car audio designers try to force on us. (drop the argument about "sitting in the middle of the band/orchestra", 99% of us never have and never will) For movies in a home theater, multi-speakers are good, but, for music, audio purists agree two very good speakers are best. <P>And, in the front of the car, you are sitting way closer to one front speaker than another, messing up your soundstage....the distance to most back speakers from the driver seat lessens this left/right proximity problem.<P>Doors and dashboards are soo much more prone to rattles and vibrations than the rear deck....and the bigger & bassier the front door/dash speakers, the more this problem is noticed.<P>The trunk serves as an "infinite baffle" allowing much more clean bass from modest speakers and amp power. You can do fairly solid bass from the front speakers, but at much greater amp & speaker cost....and all those damn rattles set in as soon as you do.<P>I personally always fade my speakers mostly to the back and spend most of my speaker money on nice 6x9"s, using the distracting and generally sonic off-axis front speakers as a low-level ambient high freqency fill for the slight amount of treble lost making it's way from back to front.<P>I generally don't waste tons of money on car stereo...theft factors, don't do a ton of driving, the general messy acoustic nature of a car interior, etc....I'v heard lots of ungodly expensive car stereos big on quantity but most seldom if ever compare to a mid-line home audio system for QUALITY....enjoy your car stereo for the acoustic compromise it is and save the money for a really good home audio/video system unless you're a traveling salesman or have a nasty homelife and need to escae your living room to enjoy music.<P>A good pair of rear 6x9"s is your definite best bang for the car stereo buck. <P>Bill