Cruisin friendly, car loving, good eating places?

Durant Mike

Everyone has their favorite place that caters to the Old Car crowd. You know that place where you can get a great burger, great fries and those old time do die for milkshakes that just can't be found anywhere else. Car hops on skates, does anyplace still exist? What and where are some of the places you've found.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I took my Studebaker to one of the barbecue joints where I used to go when I was in high school. The canopies are empty now and the building has been remodeled, but every night there used to be filled with cars and people looking and talking about cars.

If you had a high lift cam, you could impress people by rattling the top of the canopy!

They still serve barbecue sandwiches, and their wonderful limeades, but there are no cars there at night.

post-52673-143137997294_thumb.jpg

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like Richmond Virginia to me Bill!

My wife knows all about Bill's Place! wink.gif </div></div>

Yes you're right. It is in Richmond on the Boulevard.

Airboddy in Vajenya calls theyself a bobbycue connoisseur knows about Bill's!

Haven't eaten there in many years, but I haven't been to Richmond in close to seven. Not sure I could even get around the city without a map now.

Here in Danville we have "Mama Possum's Drive Inn" and they host a cruise night every 2nd Saturday.

We have a What-A-Burger too, but it closes at 7:30 PM. frown.gif

Used to be a local chain called "Wimpy's" but when Wimpy Jones died, his son sold off everything. They had the best milkshakes I ever tasted, mixed with an old green Hamilton Beach milkshake machine that could make five at a time.

South Boston had Long's Drive-In (turned into a used car lot mad.gif ) and Rose's Beef & Pizza. The Dairy Dell is still open and you'll see an old car or two there most weekends.

Martinsville had "Jan's Dutch Boy"- totally curb service complete with canopies like at Bill's. I think the one in Collinsville is still there; I ate lunch at it a couple summers ago.

Guest Bluesky636

Go to www.novaccc.org (Northern Virginia Car Club Council) and click on the "Virginia Travel" page. I have a list with links to restaurants and roads that I like to visit when out cruising in the RED 1964 Galaxie.

Guest DagoRed

Catch the Food Network's 'Diner's Drive-In's and Dives' series for some good eats and an occasional trip down memory lane for us car nuts. In fact, the host, Guy Fieri, a spike haired dyed blonde rascal, drives a '68 red, drop-top, 327 - 4spd. Camaro to start each segment. The show will raise your cholesterol just by watching it, however, it is worth the viewing time for the most part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They had the best milkshakes I ever tasted, mixed with an old green Hamilton Beach milkshake machine that could make five at a time.

</div></div>

Five spindles. shocked.gif WOW!!! I'd like to see one like that. We had a few places around here with 3 spindles mixers, but I never seen a five spindle. Sounds like a whopper for a real busy place. smile.gif Dave!

That's the only five-post I ever saw. Most places had three-post mixers. The thing was over 2 feet wide and took up a lot of counter space, but it stayed busy. Even Possums has only a 3-post.

Plus you gotta understand Wimpy never did anything on a small scale. His flagship store could seat 90 people, and the other four were built to seat 50. They were spaced out every 8-10 miles and all stayed busy. Wimpy did well enough with his burger joints that he built a home on Hyco Lake and put in white plush carpet.

Then his son sold out the burger joints, opened a hoity-toity steakhouse that never did all that well until he opened a lounge in one end of it, and promptly got himself in trouble with the state liquor board. Kinda hard to run a bar with no liquor license.

Shoulda stuck with burgers.

Forty years ago there was a chain of Hamburger joints (drive-ins) called Biff-Burger. One still remains open and caters to the old car crowd. They've added breakfast, bar-b-que, ice cream, a full outdoor bar and a 57 Chevrolet on the roof, but it's still the same burger joint that I visited in high school.

They have motorcycles on Wednesday nights and a cruis-in on Friday's along with a big annual show and a toys for tots cruise-in at Christmas.

Kind of a fun place to stop for a burger and a beer and to see

lots of cars (mostly modified, but some original too) in an ever changing display. This last surviving Biff-Burger is in St. Petersburg, FL