Alignment changes going from bias ply to radials?

Guest AntarcticDave

Guest AntarcticDave

A friend of mine just moved to radials on his LaSalle. He's wondering what, if any, changes in alignment he should make. I recall when I had the front end rebuilt on my 47 Cadillac that the shop owner said he'd set things up for bias ply, and if I ever went to radials he'd need to change it. I think he mentioned a 0.5" change in toe-in, but I can't recall. Unfortunately he is no longer around. Anyone have any advice on alignment settings for my friend's LaSalle?

A 0.5" change in toe is HUGE. I would leave the toe settings as-is and follow Novaman's advice on camber and caster. Get as close to 0 camber as you can (a little negative camber, less than 1 degree, can help stability at high speeds), and as much caster as the suspension allows. With a kingpin suspension, I'm guessing it is not adjustable. I don't even know if camber is adjustable--I don't think it is on my '41 Buick which uses the same basic suspension setup.

Guest AntarcticDave

Thanks Matt, maybe he said a 0.5 degree change in camber - at the time I was thinking I'd just bring it back to him should I ever change. Sadly he's not in business anymore (not sure what happened). I know my friend is reading this, so it should help him out. I have a few more years on my bias ply tires before I'd be looking at radials for my car. My tires only clear the skirts by 1/4", and I have been worried a radial would be likely to rub. Diamondback actually sent me measurements, so I need to measure my Firestones and see how they compare sometime.