Taking apart the headlight switch

Richard S

The one on my 90 works fine but is missing the panel light slider. I am wondering about getting a bad switch and swapping in the slider. How hard is it to dis- and reassemble? I also notice that a lot of these switches are missing the sliders. How do they disappear and where do they go [to that special place where the other sock goes?]

I have never seen the 'slider' disappear. Usually the small black plastic tip falls off. Mine fell off & I was lucky to find it on the floor mat. Small dab of black silicon took care of it. Not sure if the 90 switch mechanics are similar.

• 2 weeks later...

The switch box top which nests the buttons and slider is removed by... pull dimming slider straight off shaft. Make diagram of where buttons are located as they will fall out of openings when cover is removed. Look along the back edge of switch box. Don't bend the metal tabs. Ease a small narrow screwdriver blade or similar tool into the joint where the back meets the case. Just pry up enough to clear the little tab holes you see along the outside edge. Just get one lock tab past the hole at a time until you can lift the case off with the back in the down direction. Now you will see what a complicated little baby this thing is. Lots of plungers and sliding rods that you must be careful to keep in order. The slider is soldered to the circuit board that you see now. If you can't find a new slider button, you will have to make one somehow. You must take care to engage the slider arm so it trips the little switch in both directions when putting the case back together. As for the metal tabs on the back, they allow you to remove the steel inner frame so you can work on the contacts and springs. The cover snaps together to the back when done.

Guest jamhudson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one on my 90 works fine but is missing the panel light slider. I am wondering about getting a bad switch and swapping in the slider. How hard is it to dis- and reassemble? I also notice that a lot of these switches are missing the sliders. How do they disappear and where do they go [to that special place where the other sock goes?] </div></div>

The slider switch is still attached to the circuit board, its the little piece of plastic that attaches the little black button you move to the slider switch stub that comes off. That is the sorriest piece of junk I have ever seen on a car. You have to be very gentle moving that slider or it will fall apart. I worked on my switch from 6 PM till 6 AM this past Sat. night. From now on I will take 2 fingers to hold the slider straight as I move it. Just taking one finger and moving will most likely break it off. It really don't break it just comes a part. The outside knob is snaped on a piece of plastic that is snapped on the slider stub. I thought Eaton Controls could do better. Much better. By the way its quite a puzzle but can be taken apart and reassembled and work. May take a few times. I slept Sat evening and then cleared off the kitchen table and had 2 switches apart at the same time and build one that would work. Some one needs to make a better way to connect the knob to the switch. I have never been able to glue anything but my fingers together.LOL Some of the automotive plastic takes a glue I have never had.