14 Bearcat at Auction --Result added!

JohnBoyle

The famous Tony Koveleski 1914 Bearcat will be auctioned this weeken d by Gooding & Co.

It's a model 4E, Serial 2177.

The auction company expects it to bring between $1,000,000 and $1,400,000.

Kovelseki, who passed away at the age of 89 in December, 1999, was a Life member of the Stutz Club. He bought the car in 1948 from a dealer who bought the car from its original owner and it's considered one of the most authentic first generation Bearcats in the world. In its major restoration in the early 50s, he changed the colr from its original "Monitor Gray" (one of four factory colors listed in period ads) to yellow.

He told freiend he paid "about $3000" for the car. Now in 1948, that was good money, about the cost of a Cadillac Series 62. No Bearcat, it seems, was ever cheap.

Kovelseki drove the car a great deal and it was featured in many publications including a well remembered drive test by Tom McCahill for <span style="font-style: italic">Mechanics Illustrated </span>in 1951. It also served as the protitype for many Bearcat models which could be expected because Koveleski was the founder and owner of the Hudson Miniatures "Old Timers" range of early model kits.

Here's a link to Goodings site: http://auction.goodingco.com/product.g&c?pid=12

You may have to register with an email address and password to see the entire line catalog. The auction also features a Mercer Raceabout replica.

Also, Koveleski's grandson who is selling the car has a website devoted to it.

It has examples of magazine reports and other features about the car:

http://www.1914stutzbearcat.com/

UPDATE 8/18/2008:

According to a Reuters News agency story, the Bearcat sold for $1,375,000 or just $25,000 shy of the top estimate of $1.4 million Saturday night.

(I'm sure the $25,000 will go towards sales tax.) smile.gif

That Figure does include the 10% buyers premium which places the actual price bid at $1,237,500.

In related news, the 1913 Mercer Raceabout (ex_Harrah's collection in the 70s, not the car that is currently in the National Automobile Museum in Reno) was bid to $925,000 Sunday (8-17) night. It was declared a "No Sale" from the podium but the auction staff expressed hope for a post-block sale.

Guest Brian White

I would like to let everyone know that I am also selling my award winning 1920 Stutz BEARCAT at the Worldwide Auction in Aurburn on August 29. Thanks, Brian White

I assume you're referring to the ex-Ray Katzell machine, Maroon w/black fenders and silver painted wires?

A <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> nice car.

I just saw that in an ad in my most recent <span style="font-style: italic">Sports Car Market</span> magazine.

Good luck with the sale!