PESKY OIL/CHOKE LIGHTAND A NASTY VALVE OR LIFTER TAPPING

john robinson

HI ALL IM JOHN FROM LAS VEGAS I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1985 BUICK RIVIERA 307 OLDS V-8 I BOUGHT IT FROM A GENTLEMAN THAT STATED MOTOR WAS BAD (HE MAY BE RIGHT. AFTER A NICE CONVERSATION WITH A MEMBER HERE I WENT OUT TO WORK ON MY CAR TO TAKLE SO TROUBLESHOOTING THIS IS WHAT I FOUND....... FIRST AN ANOYING TAPPING TICKING NOISE CAR RUNS AND DRIVES JUST TICKS TAPS AND WHEN IM COMING TO A STOP THE OIL/CHOKE LIGHT COMES ON GOES OFF EVERYTIME. NOW FOR THE FUN I REMOVED DRIVERS SIDE VALVE COVER RAN THE MOTOR AND 3 OF THE PUSH RODS WERE NOT SQUIRTING OIL UP SO OUT OF 8 OF THEM 4 WERE SHOOTING OIL VIGOROUSLY AND 1 SO SO AND 3 NOTHING AT ALL.I REMOVED THE ROCKERS FOR THE 2 THAT WERE NOT SQUIRTING AND CHECKED FOR BLOCKAGE NOTHING THEN I TOOK A COAT HANGER AND TRIED TO UNCLOG NOTHING I HAVE TO BE HONEST WHEN I PUT THE COAT HANGER THROUGH IT SOUNDED LIKE I WAS GOING THROUGH A THIN PIECE OF SOME SORT OF MEATL THAT MOVED AND MADE A FLAPPING NOISE PUT ALL TOGETHER AND NOTHIGN STILL NOISY HELP PLEASE HELP JOHN LAS VEGAS

Guest stude8

John,

I recall that some late 1970's GM small block V8's had bad cam shaft metallurgy and the cams wore off the shafts to a condition that they didn't lift the lifters enough to function anymore.

Your hyraulic lifters have to move a certain distance to compress the internal spring that meters the oil up to the rocker end. If you cam shaft is bad there is no magic, you need a new cam shaft.

Have you tried to connect an external oil pressure gauge to the engine and see what actual oil pressure the pump is putting out? You can't trust the idiot lights except to tell when it is too late to add oil. Good luck, Stude8

If you are in the mood to do some backyard troubleshooting, take one that is working and swap it with one that is not. See what happens. I think Stude is correct on this info, but the oil light coming on indicates low oil pressure. If this engine has been run any length of time at the min it will need to be taken down and all bearings replaced--they are probably scored. Hopefully, there won't be much damage to the cyl walls.