Dashlight dimming issue

Guest dpannell

Guest dpannell

The climate control panel on my 90' has not "dimmed" along with all other lights since I've owned it........ Its only a minor inconvenience but I'd love to cure it.

Is it possible this is a result of the unit being out of another make car or year car? Dave

Guest dpannell

Reatta45, Unfortunately I've not yet sent my original radio for repairs....I'm using one from a 90 or 91 Riviera which works great. To answer your question....the radio switches and knobs all dim appropriately but the time and station do not dim at all...similar to the climate control.

Thanks for your consideration, DAve

Dave:

The reason I asked about the original radio is because years ago I picked up a Reatta radio on Ebay. At least it looked like a Reatta radio. Had the same dimming problem you mentioned. After closer examination I discovered that radio was missing a pin in the lower jack. That is for the black plug with the red keeper on top. To properly dim that pin needs to be connected. Everything else works perfect, even the tape player, that’s why I bought the radio in the first place.

I put my original back in because I wanted things to dim more than I wanted the tape player.

I suspect that when you put your original back in, it to will dim as it should, and your spare radio will be missing a pin also. KennyV.

Guest dpannell

Kenny, Thank you...I really appreciate the feedback on this....I knew someone would had to have experienced it but I never considered a link between the separate units.....(thinking back...the radio was one of the very first things I changed out when I bought it....makes good sense now)

I'm aware all of the schematics are in the FSM....but I read electrical prints as well as I read Ancient Greek.

Curious thought.... Is the CD tied in the dimming too? Or will its absence cause additional issues? I've replaced mine with a touchscreen GPS wired separately.

Thanks again, Dave