New guy with a New Guy serial number question.

Guest hansrobert

Guest hansrobert

Hello all in antique Studebaker land. I am the proud new owner of what I believe to be a 1920-1924 phateon that has been cut-down to a water truck in about 1935. My belief is based upon the "square" headlights. I have alot to learn and I am looking forward to learning from this site.

Anyway, my question pertains to model and year identification. My car has the identification plate on the frame, but the code is <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> 331614 <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> . I went to the Antique Studebaker site and checked the identification charts, but can't make any sense of my code and the charts.

Any thoughts?

Sure!

I just checked my books and it appears you have a 1920-21 Model EG Big Six. Serial numbers vary from 315,701 - 335,069. Your engine should have a engine number from CG 10,001 - 31,2530. This engine has 354 cubic inches and produces 60-65 horsepower, the wheelbase should be 126.

The Commander cool.gif

• 2 years later...
Guest hansrobert

I was looking at my engine numbers this morning and they read

110293-2

F 3 22

I wonder if the "22" in F 3 22 represents 1922 as the date of manufacture?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Both respondents are correct. It is a 20-21 Big Six model EG chassis and the block was cast on March 22, 1926. My guess a replacement engine. The F was the foundry code for the year 1926, the 3 is the month (March) and the 22 is the day. to make a determination look on the lower right front of the engine on a boss and you will find a number stamped in. It will likely have a prefix of either EP or EQ. The EP is the Big Six and EQ is the Special Six. The blocks were identical on the exterior the only difference was in the bore with the Big Six being 3/8" larger.