Holley carb on early V8

Guest imported_MrEarl

Here is one on a non driver I once had. Sorry i didn't get pic of any numbers. Will you loose the accelerator pedal start? Is the barrel type breather gonna fit?

post-32987-143137996681_thumb.jpg

post-32987-143137996698_thumb.jpg

post-32987-143137996713_thumb.jpg

Yes Lamar the accelerator switch option would be lost.

However, there is already a push button switch on the dash doing nothing ( purpose ?? ) I could use that as a starter switch. All I would do is hook it in series with the wiring and short out the two wire connectors at the carb end.

As for the air cleaner, I will make it fit somehow with an adaptor. And as Ed says I'll have to make an adaptor

carb ---- manifold.

I want to find out from experience on this forum as to the end advantage of the exercise, if any.

Time / $$$ Vs smoother starting , running, fuel economy.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rooster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes Lamar the accelerator switch option would be lost.

However, there is already a push button switch on the dash doing nothing ( purpose ?? ) I could use that as a starter switch. All I would do is hook it in series with the wiring and short out the two wire connectors at the carb end.

</div></div>

he he he, that would be the push button switch that was being used to start the car when I first bought it. I converted it back to accelerator start. Along with converting the electrical from an alternator back to a generator. Nest thing was converting the regular brakes back to power. (now that was a lot of fun) I left that push button in the dash, figurin some Aussie would someday probably want to put a Holley carb on it and would need to convert the accelerator pedal start back to a push button. grin.gif

Personally, I'd just rebuild that 56 Carter and keep it as is. Maybe even find you a 56 manifold for it. Those 56 Carters are some good carbs and generally don't give much trouble. Now the 54's were a different story.I loose count of the number of hoods and dashes I have seen in my parts cars where you could tell there had been a fire there at some point. I'm holdin onto that 56 intake and rebuilt 56 Rochester in the picture for putting on "sometin" someday.

Rooster, due to the mounting bolt pattern of the square bore Holley 4bbls, you might have better luck using a Carter/Edelbrock AFB which has both bolt patterns on the base plate. The wider one would be the same as the Holley, but the inner one would probably match what you want it to. I suspect the (approx) 500cfm model with electric choke would be best. Might be able to adapt the starter setup with one of the kickdown switches from the THM400 cars or trucks (the pickups used one at WOT, mounted on the lh rear mounting bolt in 1969 and earlier), then run the wires to a relay to run the starter. The "blade" that was used to make contact can most probably be mounted in one hole of the throttle linakge for the primary side, as they were on Q-Jets in that same application.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467