'68 GS questions--Ted Nagel or others please

Guest 63Stude

Guest 63Stude

An old school friend with a '68 GS was pleased with the info he got from here a few months back when I posted a question of his, so asked if I could kindly post a couple more questions he has here, attention Ted Nagel or anyone else who might assist:

"...Also, I don't know how to get in touch with Ted Nagel. (The guy that responded to your questions for me.)

I wanted to ask him some questions.

My 68 has the serial number identification plate attached to the top of the instrument panel on the left side and can be seen through the windshield. However, according to my book, this plate is attached to the left front body hinge pillar for the 1968 Buick.

The book says that the 1969 has the plate attached on the instrument panel but the 1968 has the plate attached to the body hinge pillar.

My question to Ted is: Did Buick change the attachment point of the serial number ID plate mid production in 1968 to the instrument panel and if so, do you know the serial number that this change started? Where are these GM records located?

I'm not sure if I have a 68 or a 69 body. The serial numbers are for a 68 but they are located in the wrong position.

Also, I was wondering if Ted might have or know where I could find a stock 1968 Skylark steering wheel.

Thanks for your help.

Dave"

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bill (63Stude)

Mind if I jump in..

All 1968 and up Skylarks/GS's had the Vin serial number that could be viewed through the windshield, they were never located on the hinge pillar. What book are you using that shows this location? Also the '68/69 GS body can be told apart by the VIN serial number 44637"8" for 1968, 44637"9" for '69. Another quick way to tell on would be that the '68 GS coupes had a crank vent window and the '69 GS Coupe did not.

There were 3 steering wheels used in 1968, standard two spoke, a deluxe and the sport wheel (simulated wood). They are all very difficult to find because the plastic is usually cracked. You may also want to specify a color wheel you are looking for.

Hello,

I'd guess the book may be incorrect-( is it Steven Dove's Guide?) even Buick Service Manuals have errors from year to year on things we think they should have known! The 2 '68's here are both in the windshield area as described.

Steering wheels are unobtanium - I saw one fellow 68 owner that had reconditioned his - mine is cracked but usable.

Here is my email for Dave

wildcat_65 (at) fuse (dot) net

Cheers, Ted

Guest 63Stude

Thanks gentlemen. I will pass your information onto Dave.

I have known him since elementary school (mid-'60's). We talked again a couple summers ago at our 30th high school reunion and have communicated via email several times since.

I know this is a Buick forum, but his folks had the sharpest Evening Orchid '65 Impala Sport Coupe w/327 back then...even as a kid, I thought it was pretty cool!

Bill

Guest 63Stude

Dave says the following about what book he was using about the serial no. plate locations on '68 Skylarks and Gran Sports:

"The error about my serial number location was in the "Chilton's Auto Repair Manual 1964 - 1971" edition under the Buick Special, Gran Sport section on page 44."

Bill (63Stude)