1932 fuel pump push rod

Earl B.

Guest imported_Speedster

In the '37 engine there is an oil-line in crankcase that supplies oil directly from oil-pump to middle of the push-rod cavity(hole) and then along the rod to fuel-pump-end and to cam at other end.

The fit of that push-rod, in hole, is critical for good oil-flow and pressure (close tolerance).

I assume the '32 is similar.

Guest imported_Speedster

'29s don't have mechanical fuel-pump. Gas is gravity feed, to carb, from a small tank mounted on firewall. That tank is filled by engine-vacuum pulling gas from main tank. The small tank has a valving system, inside it, to control the flow amount.

I just remembered that the '32 pump is not in same location as '37s, so oiling would not be similar. '37s is mounted in left side of crankcase and '32s is at right front. So maybe it's oiled by splash oil from timing-chain. Sorry about that, I'm not sure.

(I don't have Manuals on '31/'32 engine)

Guest imported_Speedster

Evidently Packard engine designers didn't like it mounted above timing-chain, since it didn't stay there very long. ('31 & '32 only) wink.gif (changed to left-side-crankcase mounted in '33)

Maybe there was an oiling problem with it mounted at front end ?

Here's pic of a '32 902 engine.

(Pump is at lower right):

post-33516-14313799625_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm still curious how the '31-'32 fuel-pump shaft gets oiled ? Anyone have any Ideas or a Manual that tells? (Other than maybe splash oil from chain) There's no oil or grease fitting on it anywhere, is there?

Guest imported_Speedster

I've been thinking about this '32 fuel-pump question, and I seem to remember someone asking about this a year ago or more, but when I did a search could not find anything.

Ken (tbirdman),

Were you involved with that or know who may have the answer ?

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks Tom, but I didn't see anything about pump arm (shaft) oiling ???

But since it didn't show anything special for oiling, I'm starting to believe that I'm correct that it's oiled only by splash oil from timing-chain. Which is okay if the car is driven or run at higher RPMs some, but if it sits a long time and mostly run at idle, the pump-shaft and activation-arm may get very dry and wareout quickly?