Harmonic balancer

Guest kennyw

bolt is installed with 250 ft. lbs. of torque. Padgett showed me an old trick I had forgoten. Use a breaker bar with the right socket and jam the breaker bar in the frame. Get all [others] out of the way and hit the started. Just a [tad] and the bolt will come loose.....worked for me. Had to hold the flex plate with vise grips to tighten. I am not responsible for any damage if you try this and you mess something up. This is not for the beginer. also watched two/guys in a bone yard get one off. He pulled the center rear plug and put a bar in the plug hole. Turned the motor over until the bar jammed against the firewall. Used a long pipe for an extension on the breaker bar and the bolt came loose. Not advised if you want to use the motor again but a neat trick in a bone yard........k shocked.gif" border="0

Have seen something similar done by stuffing clothesline into the plug hole until the cyl is full - unlike the breaker bar it will not damage the cyl. OTOH do not know what the effect of leaning on the crank at 250 lb-ft will have on the bearing without oil pressure.<P>Think I would rather either jam the flex plate with a holder or screw driver and wrench or just use an impact wrench.

The crankshaft pulley assy. lists for just <BR>under $200 for the 88-90 and just under $125<BR>for the 91 at G.M. Can't speak to the 91,but<BR>for the 88-90 the new pulley you'll get in service may be slightly deeper than the orginal. This may make it necessary to slightly adjust the engine vibration damper bracket for clearance. This can be done after everything is back in place before start the engine. The book says the job can be done in less than one hour, it will probably take several times that on your first attempt. <BR>The routine is as follows: disconnect the negative battery cable,the drive belt,raise and support front of car,remove the right front wheel, inner fender splash shields and torque converter cover. Hold flywheel with tool J37096 or simular device. Remove vibration damper, bracket and brace from engine, crankshaft pulley bolt. The balancer/<BR>pulley is a static fit, it will pull off easily. Be careful not to lose the key it should stay in the crankshaft.<BR>You'll probably want to install a new front cover oil seal before buttoning everything up...$10 or so. Install everything in the reverse order. Torque the crankshaft bolt to 220ft.lbs.on the 88-90. The 91 may be different. Check the balancer/bracket clearance adjust if necessary. Piece of cake,<BR>DIY cost well under $200.