'65 Riviera Gran Sport...to restore or part???

BuddyJohn56

Interested in buying a '65 Riv that is in real real bad shape, but its a Gran Sport. Being one of only 3,300 some made, the owner actually recommended that I buy a more solid car and take the goods from this one and make a clone Gran Sport. I cannot imagine doing this since there are several authentic Gran Sports locally in Pittsburgh and they are so neat to see and study! Whats your thoughts on a car that has total floor rust, rocker, quarters, etc. but has all the parts intact. The chrome inside and out needs re-finished but isn't it worth it? Has everything but A/C and vinyl roof. Turns over, not starting. I would buy a parts car and start there and try to keep that Gran Sport on its own frame and keep the numbers correct. Tough call on such a great piece of history. Take care.

The 65 Riv came std with the 401, if it has the 425 you now have a more desireable car. Check the engine code LW for single carb 425, or LX for dual carb 425. The only thing that would turn me off is frame rot, other than that it sounds like a solid base to start with. My vote--restore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 65 Riv came std with the 401, if it has the 425 you now have a more desireable car. Check the engine code LW for single carb 425, or LX for dual carb 425. The only thing that would turn me off is frame rot, other than that it sounds like a solid base to start with. My vote--restore. </div></div>

All of that has been checked out, it is a real deal LX 248 code dual quad Gran Sport. Has all the goods like I mentioned and its a million dollar restore for a millionaire, but I do all the work myself with my dad and his Buick gearhead buddies and a hell of a machine shop I have ties to! Might just do it. Get a parts Riv with the same color interior and descent floors and the road wheels which are not on it. I asked about the frame, but no email back yet. If not, I'm all for it...the wife to be might not be!..but its worth it! Thanks

Guest imported_Thriller

John,

I would advise similarly. If nobody will restore any of the rusty cars, they will just go away, whether or not they have desirable parts. A dual quad Riviera GS would be a great car to have. If you have the ability / help / shop to be able to perform the work, go for it. Even if the frame is a bit bad, perhaps there is a parts car out there with a good frame with your name on it. Of course, that means more work too...

All it takes is time and money. It works best with lots of both, but sufficient quantities of one with a smattering of the other will get the job done.

Good luck!

O.K. I know its easy for me to say but... a real deal 65 Riv with dual Quads!!! What was the question??

Seriously, wish ya the best let us know how it turns out.

Thanks a lot for the help! I think its a must have kinda car and I would do almost all of the work to the body myself along with my father who is an auto body instructor. Since its a Buick he will be more than happy to help. He has a '67 Skylark coupe in Aquamarine that we painted and detailed up. I also have a '67 Continental coupe that I am really into working on since I bought a parts car for it a few weeks ago so the Gran Sport might have to sit a little while till I can buy a parts car and work on that too. I will let you know what happens no matter what. Probably this weekend I will know.

This sucker's trunk is shot! From the upper shelf under the back window to the shelf for the brace support behind the bumper! All gone, but I may have to try to get this thing anyways. Find a good parts car and see what happens or transplant the good onto a descent car till I get the original body blasted and all fixed up. We will see!!!

Passed on the Riv. Just was too rotted away. Hoped that whoever bought it has more money to get it where it deserves to be quicker than I could have. Went for $3,655!

Gran Sport package with headlight dimmer, power widows and lock, tilt, rear armrest, no A/C, sport wheel, handling package, black on black! I'm going to go cry now for not buyin it! Had a lot of rust on the firewall, rear mounts were gone, all floors, rockers, quarters, lots of bad trim and interior was shot so it needed completely re-done, but it did turn over. Take care and hope whoever bought it has some photos if they dont part it out.