Inlet manifold

Guest peter_smith

Guest peter_smith

Hello all

After setting off to meet up with Pete Birtles and carry on to our UK GOF, I got about 30 miles and the car started missing, the car struggled for about another 4 miles, then stopped altogether.I checked all the usual things, and thought it was bad condensers, I rang Pete to tell him the bad news, and managed to get home after 3 30 minute forced stops.

later with the hood up and engine ticking over, for no reason at all I put my hand over the road tube vent on the oil filler tube, and it was sucking, straight away I thought cracked inlet manifold. Sure enough when I got it off, a crack from one of the exhaust pre-heat holes, to half way across the manifold. so I think this was my problem, flames getting into the inlet side.

(Anyone got a decent 3 stud single carb manifold for sale?)

peternedsmith@tiscali.co.uk

Regards

Peter Smith

Guest petebirtles

Hi Peter, at least you have now found something that is at fault. I'd be tempted to ring Colin, I'm sure he'll have a spare, plus it will save on the shipping etc and be a lot quicker.

Pete..

Guest peter_smith

Pete/Cecil

I have sent Colin an email, we will see what he comes up with.

Many thanks for the offer Cecil. see pic of crack.

post-44019-143137996011_thumb.jpg

Guest schoppi28

Hi Peter.

I´m Schoppi from Germany, the one with the 36 LZ.

I just have the problem with the rims and cotacted Merd Adkins nearby LA.

He probably will also have the needed parts for you.

It will be possible to make one package with all the parts to Europe, so also the costs shouldn´t be to high.

I´ll send you Merv´s address with an e-mail.

Regards from sunny Bavaria

Schoppi

Guest peter_smith

Peecher

I had repaired that crack seen in the pic, but on pressure testing the manifold it was still leaking from the exhaust side into the inlet, but there was no way of finding it, without butchering the manifold, so it looks like your correct about the riser problem.

Cheers

PS

Peter, you might consider plugging the 4 exhaust passages on the manifold. This will get you by until you can find another. You could experience some carb icing when the temperature drops. The later, 4 bolt carb flange manifolds didn't seem to have this burn-thru problem as they changed the heat riser section under the carb mount. Dee

Guest peter_smith

Hello Peecher

Yes I had talked with Colin Spong about this, if you look closely at the pic you can see where I have machined one of the holes out to take a plug, and the 2nd pic with the holes plugged.

I repaired the crack and plugged the holes, then tried it on the road, did about 80 miles, but it was dissapointing at low revs, or if you pushed the throttle down hard it would miss for a second or two till it got going,(am I expecting too much) I might have to live with it if I can't get hold of one.

I am waiting to hear from Colin, who is foraging in his spares dept, and I have emailed Merv Adkins, but had no reply yet, and Cecil has offered to try and search one out, If I can't get fixed up.

Regards

Peter Smith

post-44019-143137996581_thumb.jpg

Guest peter_smith

Peecher

Just a thought, can the later 4 stud manifold be drilled and tapped to take the 3rd stud, for the 3 stud carb, if so that would give me more choice.

Regards

Peter Smith

Peter, I see no reason why you couldn't fill ( aluminum weld or JB Weld?) the 2 forward holes and re-drill/tap for your 3 bolt carb. You would also have to drill/tap a hole in the center of the flange for the rear of your carb. Unfortunately the distance between the 2 forward studs on the 4 bolt manifold is a little wider than the 3 bolt. You might get by using one of the forward threaded holes but the carb would be a little off center but not very much. The bores for the carb mount are a little larger on the 4 bolt. There is a lot of "meat" in the carb flange on the 4 bolt manifold and you could grind a little chamfer on one side of the bores to match the carb throttle body.

I see some one is offering a 3 bolt manifold so you do have some choices. Dee

PS, send me your e-mail address and I will send you some comparison pics that might be helpful. My e-mail is dpnpo@wavecable.com

Guest peter_smith

Cecil

Many thanks for the offer, I have just agreed a price with Steve for his manifold, a big plus is that it is already in the UK, and the company my nephew works for have depots all over the country, so he is having it collected from the Bristol Depot, and sent up to Newcastle depot, I think this will be safer than UK parcel Post, as they are very good at losing things, Steve has done some tests on it and it is looking good.

I have also ordered gaskets from your side of the pond, so it will be next week before they are here, in the meantime I will take Peechers advice and strip and clean the carb.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Regards

peter Smith