Production numbers for a 1932 Buick Model 57?

Guest Mike Anderson

Guest Mike Anderson

What are the production numbers for a 1932 Buick Model 57? Is it true they were only blue with black running boards? Is there a website?

The Buick: A Complete History, Seventy Years of Buick, The Standard Catalog of Buick and The Buick Bugle 2008 Membership Roster all agree: 10,803 model 57 sedans were built in 1932. None of these sources say anything about body colors.

Any of the above sources have production figures for all years.

Guest Mike Anderson

Is there a source for options on the model 57? How about photos? All I keep finding are 57s's which have the wheel in the fender. The one I am looking at has the trunk on the back and a super long bumper extension. I would like to find photos of one of those.

Mike,

I think the information you have is mostly correct, as as long as the car had side mounts (57S), a customer could order any colors that were available on other series cars as long as they were Fisher bbodies.

For 57, the color chart I have is Guardsman Blue with Imperial Black fenders, molding and window inserts. The pin stripe was Riviera Cream, and they had only wood wheels (no metal wires)were Reg Wood and Black. This according to Buick Color Bulletin No. 3. Bulletin No. 4 suggests that if the molding is black the option for the fenders is the same as the body color, but this would have to be verified if you wanted to repaint and be judged.

I could possible scan or fax you the color bullitens if you wanted to contact me by e-mail - j.scheib@comcast.net

I am not sure what is up with the bumper extension, but if you can provide some photos maybe we can tell you more. Yes all had a trunk rack, with the actual trunk an accessory.

I know of one 57 here in CT, but I have no photos but should be able to get a few for you later this month.

I would like to hear more about your possible purchase. Do you want some hints are do you know what you are looking at? Most, you will find the spark plug cover long gone. Depanding on age and condition there could be some door sag suggesting rotton wood. As you know, this car has a lot of chrome and if you are considering restoration, expect a hefty bill for plating. The radiatot shutters are a labor intensive endeavor.

Good luck with it.

John

Guest Mike Anderson

I asked the current owner about the chrome and he said there is none left. It was all too far gone. The car however looks good from the photos. I am not to happy with the fact that he changed the motor, front end and the rear end to a modern chevy. That might be the deciding factor for me not to get the car. I want an old original car. I just noticed it has a 2 inch chop. I think that just killed it for me. I don't want a hot rod. I will have to see the car in person for sure now. He also told me he has no seats for it. Are they hard to find?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Mike:

Look up Mac Blair in PA. in the roster. He's forgotten more about 1932 Buicks than any of the rest of us will ever know and is still about 10 times more knowledgeable on them than anyone else I've met in 38 years as a BCA member.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 10 months later...