1914 Stutz Bearcat 1931 Custom-made replica

varena

I have a 1914 Stutz Bearcat replica that was custom-made around 1931. It has a Hudson Flat Head Straight Six engine that was rebuilt back in the mid-80's. It reads "Power Dome" on the head cover and 44600H on the engine block. The car has not been driven for many years but the engine still runs well. The car needs some cosmetic and mechanical work but I am not able to do it so I was thinking about selling or trading the car. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone can help me with any information on the car, or the best way to try and sell/trade it? I have attached a bunch of pictures.

Thanks for your help!

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

STUTZ1.jpg

STUTZ4.jpg

STUTZ8.jpg

STUTZ3.jpg

This is one of those cars that defies normal values. In one sense, it is not an original car and therefore of limited value. On the other hand, it is an artifact of 1931 and deserves preservation on its own merits.

The best way to put a value on it, would be some sort of auction sale. Ebay or one of the old car auctions. But what you could expect to get, I could not say.

The more history of the car and its builder you can dig up the better as far as generating interest and value.

To second what Rusty said, the real value in this car is that it is a 1930s special. Anything that you can provide in the way of history and documentation that can support that claim is very important. The exact same car advertised as a recent put together is worth 25% of one that is verified to have been built in the 1930s.

Vince, my instinct is to look for detail in the components that might indicate their origin, but I don't have enough to go on. Stutz front axles from certainly 1918 had centre distance between spring centre-bolts of 28 1/2". The general style is similar to Stutz, except that the top of the end where the stub axle attaches through the king pin is much larger than most cars because there is a taper roller bearing. Front brakes are most unusual on this slyle of axle, as they are difficult to engineer and fit. I have not seen Hugh Guthrie's 1916 Bearcat since the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne about 6 months ago. I have a 1956 photo of the car, but cannot see clearly enough to know if it is different. Hugh's car has a slight dip in the middle of the axle beam. My 1922 is straight, but heavier than yours so I doubt whether the front axle of your car is Stutz. Radiator badge is likely an original, but the radiator itself and its mountings look nothing like. The fuel tank mounted behind the seats is a low-mounted rear one from some car, but I doubt that it is Stutz. The back crossmember of the chassis forms a cover/shield for the fuel tank on Stutz, (certainly on 1921-23 cars), with holes for the filler and the level indicator. That reserve switch-tap in the middle is not Stutz of those years. If you had a scan of shots of the chassis frame someone might be able to pick what it was made from, but it probably doesn't matter. It is someone's special that they made, and was their pride and joy. Those angle tubes from the front cross-member to the chassis siderails are reminiscent of early RR Siver Ghost, but witout typical RR style detail.

Regards, Ivan Saxton

Good Day Ivan:

Thank you very much for your insightful comments. It appears that the car should be descirbed as "1930's Special" as one of the other readers noted earlier, and not as a Stutz despite the badge.

Best regards,

Vince Arena