Front Sway Bar- 90-->88

Guest spyhunter2k

Guest spyhunter2k

Does anyone know if the 88-89 sway bars can be swapped in to a 90-91 car?

There is an old thread here that discusses the differences in the sway bars and end links used on the 88-89 cars vs. the 90-91s. Apparently the 90-91 cars used a smaller diameter sway bar with a different style of stabilizer link (or end link as they are also called).

I need to install shorter end links on my car to match the amount the front has been lowered. As is, the stock end lengths are being twisted and are binding a bit because of the lowered height changing their angle. The 88-89 style end links can be purchased in shorter lengths, while no universal sets are sold for the longer, thinner style 90-91 end links that have the 90 degree ends.

I'm thinking that the best solution would be to retrofit an 88-89 sway bar to my 90 so that I can use the 88-89 style straight end links...Otherwise, I have a problem, as I believe my end links may be close to failure after installing the latest set of front lowering springs...

Guest spyhunter2k

I've emailed Jim Finn for an 88 or 89 sway bar and all attaching hardware. After studying the pics, I agree with Barney that it looks like the 88/89 style bar will fit. Though the bars are different from 88/89-90/91, the parts they actually attach to look to be the same.

I've already ordered and recieved two new end links for the 88-89 style sway bar from Energy Suspension.

Maybe after this I will also be able to settle the debate as to which final sway bar set-up is better, the improved 90/91 design with factory bushings vs. the 88/89 design upgraded with urethane bushings.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spyhunter2k

Sway bar is on the way. I'll have an update in about a week. After that, the lowering thread should also see some action.