Not crazy about the new layout.

Rusty_OToole

Anyone else not crazy about the new layout? I would prefer to have the different makes grouped by parent company. I suspect a lot of other people are the same. For example, I like to check out Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto and Plymouth because I am a Chrysler fan and they are all similar cars. I suspect there are Ford fans who look at the Mercury and Lincoln info as well as the Ford but have little or no interest in other brands.

Guys, your concerns are surely valid but are a momentary blip on the radar. Following your prompt,

I went to the new layout and it's <span style="font-style: italic">great</span>!

Lincolns <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">&</span></span> Zephyrs! FoMoCo segmened darn-near perfectly (where's the Continental part?) and that's just a start.

TG

Guest Bluesky636

The new layout is definitely worse. Having things organized by major manufacturer was so much easier. I have to hunt now to find the Ford forums. Before I could scroll right to them. I agree. It wasn't broke and didn't need fixing. Go back to what it was. please.

I would not say better or worse... just slightly different. I sort of think that combining a couple of the categories was an improvement... there were a couple of areas that were sort of redundant.

Face it, we all are generally opposed to any change in anything. I'm willing to give it a chance. I suspect that after a while we will all get used to it and will fuss the next time it gets changed. If we did not all like things "the way they were" we would not be collecting old cars now would we...

I appreciate the webmaster's work, even if I do have to get used to something a little bit different. I have faith that it was not change just for the sake of change.

I will avoid the opportunity to make a political comment here even though I really want to... grin.gif

I agree with TG that the new layout is okay. I have to admit that this is mostly due to the fact that the Three P's of automotive greatness ( Packard, Peerless and Pierce-Arrow ) are arranged in their traditional order.

Not every make of car is listed on the Discussion Forum, of course, but fans of makes like Velie, Gardner and Elcar just need to get inspired by the activity level of some of the existing forums and get their club or their owners represented. ----Jeff

Guest elmo39

for me i would like to see the Chrysler product cars put back together, before it was simple now i have to chase them all over

I'm still leery of that "3 P's" business. I don't think anyone ever referred to the "3 P's" of the luxury cars when they were in business.

So far as I know, this was dreamed up by an English writer who knew very little about the subject.

Pierce Arrow was America's leading luxury car in its day. Packard was up there too. Peerless made some big cars but was not in the same class as the other 2 as far as sales went. In their last years they made an assembled car. Is it even considered an AACA classic?

Can anyone point to a reference to the "3 P's" before the sixties?

Or, can anyone show me the origin of this term that gives it credence?

The forums were reorganized in good faith to make them better for everyone - new and existing users alike.

Time will tell if the change was good or bad (or indifferent). The 14 comments here don't necessarily reflect the consensus of the users of this forum. After all, 14 people commented - but 500 people have read this thread, and over 30,000 people have visited and used this forum since the changes were made.

Give it a chance folks. Adjustments will be made if required.

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Pierce Arrow was America's leading luxury car in its day. Packard was up there too. </div></div>

Up there, too???

Packard held a full 50 percent of the luxury car market for a LONG time, leaving all the others to comprise the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time will tell if the change was good or bad (or indifferent). The 14 comments here don't necessarily reflect the consensus of the users of this forum. After all, 14 people commented - but 500 people have read this thread, and over 30,000 people have visited and used this forum since the changes were made.

Give it a chance folks. Adjustments will be made if required.

Peter </div></div>

Keep in mind that those who are happy with something generally will not make an effort to say so. Those who are not happy will chime in loudly.

I think there is room for fine tuning, but I do not see a whole lot wrong, here.

Guest windjamer

Peter please know I dont mean to be derogatory and I am vary thankful for the forum,I just think it was easer to navagate for computer illiterates like my self befor

Nobody ever likes to change, it's human nature. Heck, I do like a clean pair of socks every month or so though....

I think the new format is fine. I'm enjoying finding all the interesting topics out there. Thanks, Peter for all your hard work in keeping this barge off the shoals.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give it a chance folks. Adjustments will be made if required. Peter</div></div> How can it get any better than THAT?

Peter Gariepy, my hat goes off to you for trying so hard to keep proper order AND please everyone, as well. You must spend an incredible chunk of time servicing this FREE site for our benefit; keeping it all about our cars. Thank You for warding-off all the advertizers and politicians. I appreciate the work you do behind the scenes. - Dave Dare

sc, it's very nice of Peter to offer to make future adjustments, but, if we sit in silence, he won't know adjustments need to be made.... The AACA section is great, but before with the Packard section so near the CCCA it made it nice for those of us whose main interest is the classics, most especially Packards.

Yes, Mika, some of us do remember how it was.. and we will.... For the Ford and Mopar people I'm sure it would be nice if those divisions could be grouped together.

This is a great place and I think we all enjoy the interactions we have with each other here, and Peter has to have a lot of patience to put up with all of us.. keep taking those valium Peter.... B

Yeah I know that, but, what caused you to change it? Why now? That is what I meant. And why do you think that this new set up is better/ as good than the old one? What in your opinion makes this layout on the main forums page new and improved? In the individual sections like in the lincoln section it has been improved. It is just hard to see where Ford and Chrysler are.

Wes,

I think my rationale for changing the forums is pretty self evident. It's not that complicated. Simply compare how it is now to what it was before and you'll see my logic.

Let me challenge you... how would you change the forum to make it better?

Guest Dave Mills

I thought it was fine the way it was, so I would not have changed it. It will just take some time to get used to.

Should Dodge Airflow Truck be a subset of Chrysler, Dodge or Desoto?

Should Chrysler Airflow be a subset of Chrysler, Dodge or Desoto?

Should Desoto Airflow be a subset of Chrysler, Dodge or Desoto?

Should Chrysler Airstream be a subset of camping trailers or Chrysler?

Should chop chop be a subset of rice burners or rat rod?

I like the layout of the top putting General and AACA together,

The rest will take some getting used to.

Not sure I like the hidden subforums.

Why do Olds and Buick have their own section but Packard, Mopar and Ford are in the Domestic?

Not criticizing just commenting.

Peter I am comparing it and I still do not see a rationale and it is not self evident. Apart from the divided sections in the Lincoln forum, etc. The main page layout is very hard to look at and find what brand you are looking for. Here is what I suggest:

Main page-

Same AACA general stuff, Buick stuff, clubs, etc. But, when you get down to domestic makes Make a title heading: GM then list the GM makes, make a Chrysler heading with the list of Chrysler makes then a ford one with list of makes and a minor makes- like Erksine, Stude, ets. The Alphabetical order thing does not work when you are dealing with so many brands under one heading, it is difficult to find a particular make without scrolling and reading each one. That is how I would make it better