Sign in to follow this  
Cokekid

Relacing V12 Distributor Points

Put that carb back on..jump a 12 vlt battery ""carefully"" quick get in and crank it up..it's gonna start, smoke and run bad but dont worry about that compression until you run it and get those rings lubed back up..I put jumpers right on battery...if you are nervous, run power just to starter...that engine needs cleaned out.....

when you jump the battery with 12Volt make sure the 12 volt battery is out of what ever car your going to jump it with, just sit the 12 volt on the ground and then connect it. Ive seen them blow up if tried from car to car, not a pretty sight.

Crap, you just saved my ass. I was gonna do just what you suggested not to. Actually, was just gonna jump it off my car while running, mainly because if I remove it, all the new-fangled electronic gadgets reset and stuff. This is why I prefer actual cars, not the electric shavers around nowadays.

If I can get the damn things running, that is. Still worried that the MMO only raised the compression to ~50 psi in all bores. My valves all pop, so I'm thinking the sitting for 20 years just put my rings to pasture

just curious, was your carb tied wide open when you made the compresion checks ????????

if the carb is full closed i think it would lower your readings of compresion

gene

Good point. There is definitely an audible difference in the airflow between closed and open throttle.

Tried the 12V battery to speed the starter. Oddly, nothing. Not directly to the starter or through the relay. Just got a spark, but the engine wouldn't budge.

tow the car about one half city block, in gear, clutch out.this builds up compression, lubes cylinders. introduces gas into combustion chambers. turn on ignition while continuing to tow and the car will start in next ten feet. may die once or twice while digesting exrea oil and fuel, try again and it will run. betcha a cold beer!

If you can get it to turn over, pull all the plugs and let them lay where they can get grounded with the wires attached, then have someone crank the engine while you watch and see if all the plugs are firing, I know it sounds simple but I have had the wires come loose inside the caps and it would act like it wanted to run but didnt have enough cylinders firing.

While the plugs are out put some WD or Kroil, some light oil in the cylinders to lube the rings so it will have a little less friction when turning.

One of the members of LZOC that rebuilds starters will put 2 extra field coils in there for you if you ask, this will make it spin like 12 volts is hooked up to it. Ive done it to one of my Packards, So far Ive had no problem with my starter except solinoids.

Oh come on...If you have decent cables, strong battery and exercise

due care that engine will spin like crazy...jump batt to batt be careful and do not spark. You have another issue if nothing happens.....

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

I must, because I get nothing but a very angry set of cables from the 6V to the block when I attach a 12v to the battery. But the thing spins like a top when using only the 6V battery, so I figure I don't need the extra boost. But turning it over again and again eventually heats up the cables anyway, and it still won't pop even once. Got spark at all 12, gas to carb that sprays with throttle. all valves move, and have suction at each bore, as well as down the carb throat. Getting annoyed.

You better of have Jake Fleming rebuild it for you he has the Sun machine to do all also checks the dwell and full advance as well as the condensors Jake is the best.

Frenchy

Jake # (214) 333-3197

I'm thinking out loud her, but it's worth a shot -- are you sure your ignition switch is working correctly? If I don't have mine on and hit the starter button, the starter wil spin but obviously I don't get any spark to the plugs. Maybe if the ignition switch is failing, it could cause a weak / no spark to the plugs? I'm just thinking out loud here, so folks, tell me if I'm way off base...

If you have spark at all 12 cylinders, gas in the carb and decent compression I would make sure the spark plugs wires are plugged in the proper places in the terminal plates.

Thanks guys. I think my starter button is fine. I had my coil and Dizzy taken care of by Jake. I'm using a remote starter switch on the relay. The only think I think it can be is that I have only about 30# of pressure on the bores, with MMO added. But I think it should be enough to get at least some fire somewhere.