Who Else in These Forums Owns a Pierce Arrow?

TexRiv_63

Now that I have finally started working on my 28 Pierce I'm curious as to how many other Pierce owners use the Forums. I have posted a few questions in General Discussion and gotten a little response but posts in the Pierce Arrow specific forum get pretty much nothing. I am going to need a lot of help from the experts, let me know who you are and what kind of Pierce you have. Thanks!

Not me either, but there was a fine example on AACA magazine jan-feb/2008 on page 35. a 1931 model!! What a beauty!!

I know 1 Pierce Arrown in Finland 20's model - then there has been brought 2 recently.

Here's one(project) 1926 model for sale!! :

http://www.oldcarsworld.com/cars.php

I would really like to own one 30's model!! Wow, those are great cars!

Hi- I have a 1931 Pierce Model 43 phaeton, I know a good bit about it and a lot about 1934-35 models, having restored a few of them. Great cars. Not that up to speed on the 20's cars. Very robust engineering, to anyone who has gotten into the mechanicals. Pierce styling not always the best, but I love them. David Coco Winchester Va.

Hi- I have often thought that my next tire set will be blackwalls, West, so I sort of agree with you. I drive it, they are Lesters, and the left front tire is showing white on the tread (guess whitewall goes all the way to edge??) This car is one not for sale. I met it in 1965, the long time owner sold it to me in early 80's, and it will be in my family as long as I am breathing! David Coco

Hi- the first Pierce's to offer the in-fender headlights were in 1914. It was a patented styling detail. From then until 1938 it was their trademark, although one can note that Lincoln and others started sneaking lights into fenders in the mid 30's. There was some strange law that these integral style lights could not be sold in some parts of New York State, and thus an optional bracket style light was offered for all years. Ironic, seeing that Pierce was made in Buffalo, NY. The standing joke was that a motorcyclist at night, seeing the headlights of what he thought was two other motorcycles heading toward him, decided to put a scare inot the riders and ride between them. Unfortunately for him it was a Pierce car. David Coco Winchester Va.

If I recall my Pierce-Arrow history correctly, Pierce-Arrow adopted the trademark headlights in the fenders as a standard feature in 1914. Pierce-Arrow continued to offer the conventional headlights between the fenders as an option for those customers who did not like the headlights mounted in the fenders. The number of surviving Pierce-Arrows with the fender mounted headlights far exceeds the number with the conventional headlights between the fenders and would lead one to believe that there were not many requests for the optional traditional headlight arrangement. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff_a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to see a really unusual 1928 Pierce-Arrow, visit the Montana Auto Museum in Deer Lodge, Montana. They have a Pierce-Arrow motorhome about thirty feet long. </div></div>

Like this one?:

2620105787_0f0de666e1_b.jpg

Thanks to all who responded. David, your car is gorgeous! There seems to be more interest in the 29 and up Pierces than the earlier ones, my 28 is a one-year only model so parts are tough to find. Jeff and Mika, I have seen a 28 Pierce fire engine probably using the same commercial chassis as the motor home in the photo. According to the owner it uses the same engine and front end as my car.

And last but not least, my car has blackwalls and will keep them!

post-51036-143137994577_thumb.jpg

Hi Don- nice looking car, and the blackwalls look just right! If I remember my Pierce history correctly, your year/model is the only one to ever have the emblem on the front of the radiator shell.

Great car. David Coco

Don, Thank you for posting the photo! Great looking car, far nicer that I thought it would be based on your first post. Pierce always had advanced bodywork designs, can you tell us something about the roof on yours, solid or fabric insert?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexRiv_63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to all who responded.

And last but not least, my car has blackwalls and will keep them! </div></div>

Don, WOW!!! The Pierce looks GREAT in glossy black! Can you show us what's under the hood?? cool.gif

Hi- and since this is in the General forum, and some people might not know Pierce history: George N. Pierce, in the mid to late 1860's on, made refrigerators and bird cages (I have two sets of "Pierce" water/feed glass cage attachments!). In the late 1800's, his company started making bicycles, and had great success; even then, engineering was paramount, and the company made a highly sought-after shaft drive bicycle. In the early 1900's, he started building a car (the Pierce motorette), using a single cylinder Dedion-Bouton engine. He then started making his own engines, and the Great Arrow was born, a large higher horsepower touring car. The cars started being called "Pierce Arrow"; after the last 4 cylinder in 1909 (Model 24), the company went to 6 cylinder engines, culminating in the great Model 66 of the mid teens (over 700 cubic inches straight 6 cylinder). It was not until 1929 that Pierce built an 8 cylinder, then both 8's and 12's in 1932. A Pierce motorcycle was also made, but I believe this was not by the original Pierce Arrow company, but by a close relative. Hope this is of some interest. David Coco

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trimacar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I remember my Pierce history correctly, your year/model is the only one to ever have the emblem on the front of the radiator shell. David Coco </div></div>

Thanks David. The story I have read is that they added the radiator emblems on both the model 33 and model 81 for 1928 but they were told later (By Mrs. G.N. Pierce!)that they had used the coat of arms for the wrong Pierce family! The emblem disappeared never to return.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Great looking car, far nicer that I thought it would be based on your first post. Pierce always had advanced bodywork designs, can you tell us something about the roof on yours, solid or fabric insert? </div></div>

Thanks HD, the exterior and interior upholstery were redone by the previous owner. The mechanics are another matter, they appear to be original but so far seem to be in pretty good shape. I do know they have an enormous amount of original grease and dirt! I believe that 28 was the last year for aluminum body panels from the factory with the cowl and fenders made from steel. They upset a lot of purists when the series 81 came out because they streamlined the body and fenders, lowered the roof, and added the curved visor and hooded headlights. The roof is fabric and was redone with the body, I do not know if it is a match to the original.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mika Jaakkola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Can you show us what's under the hood?? </div></div>

Here it is in all its greasy glory. This small six was used in the earlier series 80, for the 81 in an effort to save weight and increase power they added an aluminum head, intake manifold, pistons, and connecting rods. It was rated at 75 horsepower.

post-51036-143137994881_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143137994884_thumb.jpg

Mika,

the screw-mounted item is a replacement water manifold, I think it is stainless steel. Almost looks homemade, I'm not touching it until I get a little braver. My goal is to make this a dependable driver, so far I have replaced the tubes and flaps, cleaned and lubricated, and adjusted the brakes. (previous owner replaced the linings but did not know how to adjust. The rear brakes were dragging and the fronts never made contact!)It needs fuel system work, cooling flush and thermostat, some rewiring, and a new exhaust system. It also still has all original glass which I want to replace with safety glass. I also want to add some auxilliary turn signals and stoplights for safety that would be easily removable for show. Plenty to keep me busy.